Automatic reference requests when applying for teaching job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by fishman882, Jun 17, 2010.

1. fishman882

fishman882 New Member

Jun 17, 2010

I taught for 7 tears, then worked in the private sector last year. I am relocating to a new area and I want to teach again.

There currently aren't positions open for the subject I teach, but I want to apply and get in their hiring pools anyway.

I anticipate applying at many districts.

When I fill out the online applications, I have the option to have reference requests automatically emailed to my references (former supervisors, etc.)

My concern is that the my referrers will get overwhelmed with paperwork filling out each district's reference form.

On some applications, I have the option NOT to send reference forms.

What do you think the best course of action is for this situation?

Thanks!

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2010

I am having the same problem as you, as many of the districts I'm applying to that are out of state require them (most of the districts around me don't use reference forms). On one hand I know that in most cases a certain numbers of reference forms need to be filled out for your application to be considered, but on the other hand even if each reference form only takes fifteen minutes it really adds up if you're applying to a lot of districts that use this.

I use different references at times to keep the number that each person is getting down, search out places to apply that will let me use my placement folder or letters of references instead and mainly apply to big districts that I know will do a lot of hiring or districts with positions posted in my certification area.

4. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I've been having the problem with one state in which 95% of the schools require three hand-filled-out sealed reference forms, they must be mailed by the referrer. The problem is that most of my references live 2,500 miles away from my current location. (I've recently moved.) Each school district has a different form, so it would be impossible just to ask for them to fill out 10-15 and then give sealed copies to me.

It's driving me crazy, all of my recommendation letters have cell-phone numbers where the reference can be easily contacted. I have amazing references, however the superintendent of a school district (one of my references) doesn't have time to fill-out/mail 30+ different recommendation forms. Not to mention many of the jobs are only open for one week! There isn't enough time for me to send the recommendation form, and have it mailed and received by the school district in time. I've had to focus my job search in another state because of this.

One the other hand, I did apply to one school w/ out the three recommendations on a whim. I asked if reference letters and cell phone numbers would be alright. The HR representative said it was ok, and I ended up getting an interview. I didn't get the job, I don't know if the letters played a role in this.