Automated Sub System

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TxChelsey, Sep 13, 2006.

1. TxChelsey

TxChelsey Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

I have been reading a lot of posts from subs having a hard time finding work. Are you actually contacted by a person for a job? Our system in the Dallas, TX area is all automated. A computer calls you for jobs and you can call and search for open jobs anytime. I just started subbing this week and I have had a job everyday. I have also already booked half of next week and half of the week after. If you have an automated system, just call all the time and you are sure to get work. If not, good luck!

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 14, 2006

Never had the pleasure of falling udner the automated system as a Substitute Teacher, however, there is one district in NE IL this year that's actually giving Sub Finder a try. I wonder how well it will work for them because I'd like to see more districts start to use it.

4. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

In our county the assistant principal or principal of each school calls the subs. Unfortunately for me there's a ton of retired teachers in our country that are usually called first by the principals they worked under. Luckily, I have known the principal at one school since high school and I get a lot of work there. Its also a long drive and most subs don't want to make the long drive and refuse jobs at this school.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2006

We have an automated sub system in my town- it's o.k. The only thing that I don't like is that every time I call, it tells me there "are no jobs availiable for you"- so I have to wait for them to call me. In another district I work at, I haven't gotten called once-they have an HR office who calls. I called them last week to line up something early, and they said they had nothing availiable-which I know was a lie. Are you really saying that out of 21 elementary schools not one person was going to be absent-please. Oh well.

6. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

Where I live there is a Subfinder system where I believe you can either call or check online to find jobs. This system also calls subs in randomly or by request. It sounds like a great system! However, I've just finished my paperwork to get on the sub list so do not yet have my sub ID # to get on the system :)

7. zanke

zanke Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

We have an automated system. I haved received several calls from it in the morning for jobs for that very same day. Plus, I have one day set up for this next week. I am surprised that I am already receiving calls as I just went through the district substitute training one week ago. There were 150 people in that class. They even said that the month before they had 300 people in the same class.

I have never substituted before or taught in front of a class, and they know that. But I guess there is enough work that I am already receiving calls.

8. ryman

ryman Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

We use subfinder and I go online to pick and choose jobs. Every time I go to a new school I pick up a list of its teachers and their respective subjects and daily schedules so I can choose jobs based on my preferences (I usually look for prep/lunch combo or last period prep). I'm typically booked up weeks in advance.

9. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Sep 29, 2006

We also use SubFinder and as a former sub and a current teacher I can say I really like it. As a sub I called it all the time to listen for jobs. It would also call me if I hadn't lined up a job for the next day.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 29, 2006

We use AESOP, which is the same. You can call on the phone, or check on-line. Our lower elementary schools will still call preferred subs before it's put on AESOP.

11. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

My district uses Smart Find Express, the next generation of SEMS.

It's great! I've registered for four days this week, three days next week, and one day at the end of the month in jobs -- mostly by calling in. What do I like best about the system? If I have to decline for some reason, I can specify the reason using a number and not have to worry about getting a response of disappointment. The system just says "goodbye" in its automated voice. Ha ha ha...

12. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

My district uses SEMS. The way it is set up in our district is different. There are rarely any jobs available for you to pick if you just call in or look up on the internet. The only ones that would be there would be the jobs where the teacher teacher specifically chose you (and it is not yet the system calling hours) or if you are the next in the queu- (spelling)

I actually don't mind it this way because I think it is fair and people aren't hogging the jobs. I usually get all mine face to face anyway.

13. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

souptunuts --

SEMS is actually what my district was using before they upgraded to SmartFind Express. Our district has it setup where you can get on a school's "preferred list" after substituting there a certain number of times. You can only search for jobs for schools that have you on their "preferred list"; if you're not on a school's preferred list, you have to wait for calls from them instead of being able to search for jobs yourself.

The other way to "find" jobs is -- of course -- if the teacher chose you, like you said.

Perhaps your district has a similar system setup? I've found lately that calling into the system right before the system's regular call-out time and during late night hours is a great way to find jobs. If I have a planning period at the end of the school day or get off early for some other reason, calling in around that time shows better results, too.

I hope that helps you. :)

14. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 4, 2006

Yep- you are right, I forgot to say that a job may be there if you are on the preferred list.

Thanks to marketing myself through magnetic cards and chocolate over the years, I work almost everyday. I'm booked solid through October and my only day off was yesterday. I have the luxury of only working at my favorite elementary school now. It's awesome. I'm still on the list for other schools but I don't usually accept them unless they are spec ed.

15. subjobfetcher

subjobfetcher New Member

Oct 8, 2006

How is Aesop working for everyone?

16. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

The district I sub for is using AESOP this year too. And I'm one of three preferred subs at my son's elementary school, so they just call me first and plug me into the computer if I'm available.

It seems to work out better than having a human sub-caller...for me anyway. I know alot of teachers are complaining that it's more work for them (they have to log-on when they are going to be out), but for me, it's been fine!

17. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Oct 21, 2006

I have used AESOP twice now. The first time I signed up, I posted the need for a sub 2 weeks in advance. This was for a Friday doctor's appointment. Within hours the position was filled. Then the sub backed out the night before, leaving no one to sub for me. I didn't find out until the following Monday that this person didn't show up. The second time I used it the sub was a person who had worked before at my school and was very reliable. I liked using AESOP because I didn't have to spend hours on the phone trying to find a live person who was still subbing!

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 23, 2006

The county where I previously lived used Aesop, so I am familiar with the program. However, now that I am in a new county, I have seen a couple of new features.

One of them is the "Feedback" feature. When I come home at the end of the day, I rate my day on a scale of 1 to 5. Plus, I have boxes to discuss different topics - lesson plans, behavior, helpers, absences, etc.

Another thing that I have never seen before is "Your Rating." I subbed four days last week and received two ratings from teachers. I have a rating of 6 on a scale of 1 to 5 - so, I have 5 apples. :)

Does anyone else use these features of Aesop?

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 24, 2006

We do.