Autistic child

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Sep 15, 2009.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

I have an autistic child. i need some help.... what are somethings you do?

3. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Sep 15, 2009

You have a child that has Autism. What do you mean some things you do?

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009

Do you mean you are the parent of a child with autism or the teacher? Does the child have an IEP? What is on his IEP? What special services are available? Are you in a public school? There are so many different types of autism that it would be impossible to give advise without more information.

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

Ditto to the 2 previous postings!!!

6. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

I'm the teacher. We are church preschool, he comes two times a week. He is getting some therapy outside of school. Just wanted some ideas to do with him.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2009

Is he on the mild end of the autistic spectrum or on the more severe end of the spectrum? What types of things are you noticing he has difficulty with?

8. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

Is there any way that you can find out what he is working on in therapy and reinforce that in the classroom?

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 16, 2009

I used to work as a one-on-one aide in a preschool program for a child with autism. Th smartest thing I did was to touch base with the PT and OT--they were able to give me tips on what he needed. There should be a team meeting with you and the parents and representatives for the services he is getting outside of school. The child I worked with was quite high funtioning and I worked with him alot on sensory integration, calming techniques such as pressure points (bearing down lightly on the shoulders etc), doing alot of physical type things such as jmumping up and down while we said the months,. stomping feet to thedays of the week etc helped to keep him foucsed during circle, koosh balls, reinforcing that I wanted to her ___'s words and not pooh bear words (he communicated in pooh,simple direct language, picture cues etc were all things I did to help

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 16, 2009

consistant routine is huge--- and depending on the child either close space or extra room at circle and tables and line up

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009

If your child has Asperger's you will need to work a lot on social skills and emotional regulation. A consistent schedule and follow-through on rules is crucial. Strucure works really well. Many have sensory processing issues so lots of sensory activities are good.

If the child has been identified and has an IEP you can ask for a copy of it so you know the goals the team set and you can should be invited to the meetings. There is a lot on the internet. If his or her issues are severe enough, the school should be providing preschool. No offense but if you are working for a church preschool it may mean that you are not required to have a lot of education and may not have had any training for working with children with special needs. It may not be the best setting.

12. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

Thanks for the help... We are required to have an education but I don't have any training with specials needs.... It's not the best setting but it's what mom wants so I 'm trying. He does do OT and PT and speech outside of preschool....

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 17, 2009

as I said before, try getting in touch with theOTand PTor ask mom to request a meeting with you and them for thier input

14. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

I have to agree, the best thing that you can do is reinforce what is taught in therapy.:thumb: