Autism

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by KLaMonda, Jul 30, 2002.

1. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Jul 30, 2002

I will be teaching an autistic unit starting in 2 weeks. If you have worked with autistic children before, and have any info, input, suggestions etc, please post!
    Thanks!

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 30, 2002

They typically don't like change. Have picture schedules. Talk about what to expect of the day first thing. May need picture communication boards--depending upon abilities.

4. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Jul 30, 2002

You're going to want teaching materials as concrete as possible. You'll definately need picture schedules to show daily routines. I'd advise you to invest or find access to Boardmaker or another similar program to make them. They can be transfered to communication boards or even some electronic communicaters. Try to keep your schedule the same as much as possible, if you know it'll be different remind them over and over and over ahead of time. Be especially aware of diets, a lot of autistic children have special diets and can't vary from them. Give very specific praise (and alot of it) for tasks completed or attempted (good handing me the ball). Be sure to establish eye contact and attention before speaking. I would be cautious of how many distracting pictures/posters/etc. you put on the walls....
    Ummm...I think we could help you more if you give specific problems, or even as you run into specific problems.
    feel free to e-mail me, I hope this helps...

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 30, 2002

There is a program called PICTURE THIS and it is much cheaper than Board Maker if money is an issue. PICTURE THIS has more real to life pics in it. Last I heard it was $99. Board maker is what... $300-ish. I saw PICTURE THIS at an autism conference I went to this past Feb in Mississippi. We have board maker at our school. I've used it A LOT.

Lori