Autism-New classroom/wing set up

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MsTeckel, Apr 24, 2011.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Apr 24, 2011

I teach in a private day school for students with autism and other related disorders. I've been teaching in this school for about a little over 3 years. I've taught adolecent aged students for about 8 months, then moved to the elementary wing and taught math. My school is set up as wings with 8 rooms in each wing. It is set up with 8 rooms and 1 subject is taught in each of those rooms. So Theres math, language arts, social science, science, communication/IND living, music therapy, art therapy, and computers. so the teacher in that room teaches 1 subject all day long to 8 different groups of kids of about 6 kids. So 1 teacher is responsible for appox 48 kids but only for 1 subject. Anyway...this is still going on on our adolecent side, but as of Monday, the elementary side will change (wuhoo) :dizzy:

Now we will have 6 self contained rooms and 2 rotating rooms. So I will have a group of 6 kids that I will teach all subjects except for music/art, and computers. Then when my kids go out for music/art or computers and then I will have one of the rotating rooms and teach them math. The kids in the rotating rooms are more of the higher functioning kids and the kids that can handle transitions.

I know this thread is extremely long, but if you're reading thanks! :)
    I am so nervous, I love the group of kids I have. I just dont feel prepared. We only had about 2 weeks to prepare of this change. Not long at all. I only have math stuff, but I've been on boardmaker share, and Im getting ready to go back and read teachsk's thread/post.

I have tons of ideas going through my head, but our principal wants everyone to be on the same page and discussing the same topics. We have a language arts curriculum and we use touchmath for math, but do not have a science or social science curriculum. It's frustrating me because I want to plan things and I have to wait for the science and social science teachers to give me their topics for the week. Blah!
    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Off to read post.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

Is there a way that you could plan the math lessons and pass them out to the other teachers? Then the reading, social studies, science teacher could do the same. It might make sense if you all need to be on the same page.

Or maybe you could all sit down and discuss what you would teach each week for the rest of the month and next month. That way you would all be on the same page and you would be able to plan.

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Apr 24, 2011

That is exactly what our principal wants, Im a very anal planner and want to plan things for my kids way in advance. I hate having a weekend to get stuff together. We have teachers who do not know what they are doing until the day of, even when they have lessons planned, they surely dont give them to anyone.

This is going to be the most stressful part. I would be happy to just plan out my day on my own...which I bet we will get there eventually.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2011

I know the feeling! I am very similar with my planning.

Is there a way just to discuss topics for the next month....or look at what was taught last year and run with it?

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Apr 25, 2011

What about requiring that a monthly or weekly calendar be sent out for each subject?

For Example Science may look something like this:
    March: Living Things and nonliving things
    week 1: What is a living thing? what is a non-living thing?, know characteristics of each, and examples, sort pictures of living and non-living things
    Week 2: learn about living thing: animals, what they eat, types of animals, what an animal is, animal habitat, if student is capable, learn parts of an animal cell.
    Week 3: learn about living thing: Plants, parts of a plant, different kinds of plants, what plants need to live, photosynthesis, how we use plants, and if student is capable, learn parts of a plant cell.
    Week 4: Finish up unit, have student do a modified/adapted book report, research paper/project on an animal or plant.
    Choose an activity from the list below as well:
    go on a walk outside, take a camera and take pictures of living and non-living things then go back to the classroom and make a book.
    go to zoo, farm etc. or have an organization bring animals to school
    plant lima beans, or something else
    etc.

the themes can be set out and the teachers will need to plan following the themes, but they could choose the activities.