author study

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by firstgradeteach, Apr 22, 2009.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

Hi!

I have tried and have failed to supply author studies this year. I think it will definitely be on my wish list next year.

What authors do you study? What materials do you use? Do your kids complete a project?

I'm thinking about one a month.
    September-
    October-
    November-
    December- Jan Brett
    January-
    February-
    March- Dr. Seuss
    April- Eric Carle (I have good information and a project for this)
    May-

I'm not sure what authors. Maybe Norman Bridwell sp?, Marc Brown, Leo Lioni and others.

I'd appreciate if you could share any information. I'm hoping that if I have it all planned, I will actually stick with it next year.

This is a video my kids watched about Eric Carle. They then use fingerpaint paper (not tissue paper- because I'm afraid it might rip too easy) and my kids fingerpaint then cut it out and make a collage to make flowers.

http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/books/hungrycaterpillar.swf

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2009

I usually begin the year with Kevin Henkes. His books are great for talking about friendship and we do a character study with them as well.

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 22, 2009

I, too, do Kevin Henkes early in the year. I try to tie my author studies into what we're doing in reading and writing workshop. For example, Kevin Henkes was our mentor author for writing, so I read those books to them in advance of the unit.

We did:
    Kevin Henkes
    Eric Carle
    Leo Lionni
    Laura Numeroff
    Mo Willems
    Tomie dePaola
    Gail Gibbons
    and a gingerbread story study

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

I forgot about Laura Numeroff!

I had Kevin Henkes on my list. Maybe I should move it to August/ September. Thanks for the suggestion!

The gingerbread story study. Is this studying different versions?

I have wanted to complete a fairytale type of study. I have thought about choosing one book like, The Three Little Pigs. Since there are many different versions like The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pigs.

Maybe I can not have an author's study one of the months but just choose a different fairytale or story and read different versions every week.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 25, 2009

Yes we read several versions of the gingerbread story much like the fairy tale concept you suggested. I'd google "gingerbread unit" for book ideas!!

7. cateste

cateste Companion

Apr 27, 2009

Here is one author resource you shouldn't overlook. At scholastic.com they have many videos where famous authors, like Bridwell, talk about their lives and books. The videos aren't too long and can be very entertaining.
    teacher.scholastic.com/read/all-about-authors.htm

8. thomasjazmin151

thomasjazmin151 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

mark brown.

i used mark brown before. I think his grate you will find some activities and you will ejoy the year with the lesson plan. just keep up the good work:cool: