Author Study~Jan Brett

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mjennings, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Dec 31, 2008

I was wondering if anyone has ever done a author study on Jan Brett. Her books are great but i have never done an author study before. How do I do this...what kind of activities do i do??

any help will be great!

3. old n new

old n new Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

When I taught 2nd grade last year, I did a unit on Jan Brett. We did some reader's theatre and visited her website. Her website is full of ideas. There are "How to Draw" videos, activity pages, games, and a lot more. Just google Jan Brett and you will get her address. (Since I am a new member, I cannot post a link. Sorry!) Also, when you google her name you will get a teacher resource file that is the third hit and it has some great links to look at.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2008

She has great props for her stories on her website. One of her stories has masks that you can print out and the kids can act out the story. I can't remember which one. I also bring in a huge white sheet and we act out The Mitten, with the kids getting under the sheet. It's a riot.

I'm getting ready to do Jan Brett with my kindergartners in January, and they always love it. I don't have my plans with me here...they're at school. If I remember I'll post some things when we get back to school next week.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2008

6. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Dec 31, 2008

i have seen her activities but I am thinking more of ways that I can incorporate into language arts ( reading strategies and writing activities, etc)