Author Study - How do I do one?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KLSSwimmer, Jul 17, 2011.

1. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jul 17, 2011

Okay friends... I need to do an author study this year with my kindergarten students. I love authors like Kevin Henkes, Laura Numeroff, Audrey Penn, etc. However I have no clue what to do once I have chosen an author. Do you just read books by the author? Do you study about the author? What do you do?

Thanks for your help!

3. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 17, 2011

I don't know if it's right but...

I can tell you what I've done with my class. We normally do read one or two books a day from the chosen author. As we read, we talk about things that we notice in the author's books. It lends itself well to comparing and contrasting. We also talk about the lesson the author is trying to teach us (if there is one) and we've even discussed illustrations. This year, I did Robert Munsch and stumbled upon his website. The kids loved listening to him tell the stories from his books!

If they're really into it, the kids will start comparing different authors that you've chosen. Some of my kinders noticed that Eric Carle and Lois Ehlert used the same technique for the page designs in one of their books. The pages started small and got larger and larger as the book went on. I love how observant they can be!

Hope this helps!

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 17, 2011

I just did this same exact post last week I think. :)