AUT or MR classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Chokita, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I've been so stressed out working with students with autism (behavior issues, sensory issues, aggression) :dizzy: that I was thinking about switching to another type of class, maybe MR? I've been talking to some of my friends that teach MR classes, and they don't seem that burned out, they don't deal with behaviors we're dealing with.
    Anybody had experience with both types of classrooms? Can you share your experience? Is it easier, less stressing?

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2008

Only as a sub ...

I've seen some MR classrooms that are very challenging. And, I was told by 2 LAUSD Mod/Sev Autism teachers that they actually have MR students mixed into their classes because there is so much crossover in diagnosis.

And I've seen MR classes where there are constant behavior and aggression issues (even in Mild/Mod) ... but you would get a break from the sensory issues which can be exhausting to deal with.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2008

I agree with the dual diagnosis part. Most of the kids I sub for have an autism/ MR diagnosis. I don't think it's ever any easier in Special Ed...... do you have more than one para?

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 4, 2008

I think it all depends on the group of kids you have. Every year is different. I am teaching students who have been diagnosed with severe behaviors and mild to moderate cognitive delays. I have their behaviors under control but I would go back to teaching students with autism in a heart beat. I have one student with autism in my class who is an handful (but he is one of my favorite students) but he reminds me of what I used to teach...

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Nov 7, 2008

I do love working with this population. Maybe I'm just tired and burned out. I'm still a new teacher, still learning...
    I only have 1 paraprofessional, but there are 3 non-public agency behaviorists working in the classroom too, but it's still hard.

7. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Nov 16, 2008

I've never taught an Aut only class but I teacher the moderate class in my district for middle schoolers. So I get a few Aut students mixed in with mine. I am so glad to have the variation within my class. I think that it's more of the sensory needs then the behaviors that I'm not dealing with in a mixed class. I do have behaviors and some have been so severe and I do have students with sensory needs. The things is it's not ALL of them. I also like my program because I can talk to them. They have low IQ but get social situations. I was offered an Aut class 4 years ago and although I would have loved to stay on that campus and with that principal I'm glad it didn't work out that way.

the right mix of multiple disability students (especially in middle school) is the best program I've ever worked in