Australian teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by lajoers3, Dec 10, 2006.

1. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Dec 10, 2006

Hello everyone, my name is Amanda and i'm a primary school teacher living (and teaching) in Sydney, Australia. I'm not quite sure if I should be posting here or on the elementary board since our schools are structured a bit differently. Elementary schools seem to be fairly equivalent to primary school in Australia except that primary school in Australia is from Kindergarten to Year 6. Secondary school goes from year 7 - 12 and although some private schools refer to the years between year 5/6-8 as being 'middle school' it's not generally thought of as such.
    Anyway, I just got myself a job as a year 6 teacher, starting next school year (which is starting at the end of January). I've been teaching casually as a relief teacher for the past 5years and i'm really excited. I mainly want some ideas on what to do to excite a bunch of 11/12year olds about numeracy and literacy. What sorts of things do you do that's really fun and that makes the kids want to come back for more.

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Dec 10, 2006

Hi Amanda,

I'm from Sydney and have my first permanent primary position next year too, after years of casualling. I don't know which grade yet, find out tomorrow. I'm a high school English teacher but have just retrained. I'm excited about next year, confident that the teaching part will be okay but worried about the nuts and bolts of setting up and getting started. Anyway, congratulations on your job and let's stay in touch!

4. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Dec 10, 2006

Congrats on your job too. This is not my first permanent job - I actually was working before I had my children (and for a little while after my first daughter was born). But that was quite a few years back and I was teaching infants classes at the time. Teaching year 6 on a full time basis is definitely a new thing to me.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

Hi, Amanda, and welcome to AtoZ. I teach 5th grade (10-11) and one class of pre-algebra. What seems to excite my students is to push them as far as they can go. Many of them are so intrigued about algebra, like it is some brave new world. I always point out to my 5th graders when they are 'doing algebra'. Some of them can't wait to learn about integers. The less advanced students are always thrilled when they accomplish things they never thought they could do before.

Here's a fun idea for fractions. Use fraction circles or squares, have each student pick no more than 3 different fraction pieces. They use them as stencils to create either people or animals (reuse each fraction piece more than once). They then identify the various fractional parts, write equations, find common denominators, and find the sum. Then they can color them in and even give them names. Mine loved this.

Good luck on your position!!

6. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

I like the fraction activity. It sure beats more of the same drill and practice from a textbook! I think I'll try it. .

7. AussieAP

AussieAP Rookie

Dec 26, 2006

Good luck - welcome to the (not "our") Department. Try the stuf at "Dominie" in Brookvale Sydney - I have found things there. Do the people at school not share?

8. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Dec 30, 2006

Hi Lajoers3, welcome to teaching!

As a grade 5/6 teacher I browse through elementary and middle school stuff mostly - sometimes there's great stuff in the kinder boards too!

One of the best ways to enthuse children in any subject is to be enthusiastic yourself. Don't ever punish the children with Maths, for instance. Rather than intro with, "Now we have to do Maths," try something like, "I found this great maths activity for us to do!". You get the idea. Then find things on the internet like kaleidocycles and polyhedrons for them to make. When we do fractions, for example, the kids make an icosahedron (20 sided) and they have to write a different equivalent fraction for the fraction I allocate, on each side. They look great hanging on cotton thread from the ceiling (well, the net that's strung about 2.5m below the 5m ceiling anyway.)

When I read, we shut the door first (more later) and I read novels the kids love - Roald Dahl, Morris Gleitzman, Paul Jennings (although I've gone off him lately). I dramatise, a lot. "Matilda" is my favorite book to read but hard on the voice because the Trunchbull does a lot of yelling in it, but the kids love it! Shutting the door? I once read a story in which a character screams for help (which I therefore do) and THREE teachers came to see what was wrong! The kids were rolling on the floor, laughing. Now, when I ask someone to shut the door and the kids to sit on the floor, I can hear the whispers of, "She's going to read!". When I finish a book, there's usually a waiting list of kids who want to take it home to read themselves. For a fun start to the year, try to find the "Little Lunch" books - designed for much younger kids, the older ones love it when you put the voices in.

Be enthusiastic, have fun with the kids, and enjoy my favorite age group! :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2006

My 12 year olds loved doing decimals once I showed them how to write out a check and balance a checkbook. They felt SO sophisticated!