auditory stimming?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by bethechange, Apr 14, 2010.

1. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

Anyone have any ideas for how to work on lessening verbal/auditory stimming? I have a kid this year who is constantly either reciting lines from TV (which is at least tolerable) or making a sort of whoop/scream noise (not so much). He has a lot of sensory issues. He does the whoop/scream slightly more when he is excited, but typically he alternates between periods of extreme activity/whoopiness, periods of (relative) body calm and tv-reciting and then a period of absolute zone-out, in which he stops moving in his tracks and will stare right through whatever or whoever is trying to engage him. He does use PECS, has some initiation, and will sometimes imitate things, but its a stretch.

3. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Apr 14, 2010

Probably not much advice here, but what about replacing the auditory stim with another (hopefully easier on you) stim. I had a student earlier this year that said my name 96 times in a 20 min. period. We overwhelmed him with physical and auditory sensory replacements that were more acceptable. He still will occasionally get in to a a place where he repetitively says my name, but it's 99% better. His "stim time" is generally spent rubbing velcro, yarn, whatever he needs for a physical stim and also smelling markers, books, paper, etc. I know we didn't take care of the problem, but I moved it to a more appropriate thing that doesn't affect the rest of the class. Just my idea.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 15, 2010

One smell-stimuli my old sped teacher found particularly effective was a bag of coffee.

5. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

We have a student who smells crayons and markers and I didnt realize it was a stim. He does smell them each time he gets them out of his box. He also smells pencils after they are sharpened and glue sticks. He has not been diagnosed with Autism. He also does something I'd like some ideas about. When he gets frustrated he hits his head with his fist (sometimes very hard and other times, lightly, sometimes he even kinda is humorous about is by hitting his head, but not hard at all and making a noise with his mouth). At first I wondered if he was just trying to get my attention and sometimes I still think he is, but most of the time he gets extremely frustrated when whatever it is he did was n't done correctly or up to par for him or the teacher. He's sensitive to being right I guess. Like when tying his shoe, if he drops the bow and has to redo it, he will hit his head hard and not even want to try again. Any ideas on how I can get him to do something else when he goes to hit his head. (Oh, after he hits his head, he says: that hurts). I did try to get him to clap instead of hitting his head, but this is such a habit or behavior for him, it's hard to get him to change. ALSO , clapping wasn't a good switch, it became LOUD! Your ideas would greatly be appreciated. Also some insight as to why he does this would be awesome as well! thanks :)

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

squeeze a stress ball hard, squeeze theraputty, floam, play doh, different textured stress balls.

have him push his hands together

wall push ups

have him take a break and do a sensory activity, or take a walk, run an errand ETC.

7. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Apr 22, 2010

I remembered one thing I didn't say. He hits his head so fast before I can even intercept to give him a stress ball. I will try the wall push ups tomorrow. I will explain to him what to do before he has an episode. Also, if he doesn't hit himself when he has encountered a frustrating time, I can reward with a sensory activity or run an errand. Thank you so much for your ideas and for getting them to me so quickly!

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

you could make a token economy, every time he doesn't hit his head and instead uses a stress ball he gets a token, once he gets five tokens he gets a reward. also have a picture of what he is working for, you may also want to make a visual reminder for him using boardmaker (boardmaker has a 30 day free trial avaliable on their website). Maybe his reward is an oreo cookie, or 2-3 chips, goldfish, a sticker/a stamp, cheerios, a starburst, gummy fruitsnacks, a few skittles/m&m's, small toy/pencil, coloring time, puzzle time, computer time, take a paper to the office or another teacher, mcdonalds coupon etc.

9. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Apr 23, 2010

currently, we use a penny chart where he follows rules (listen to teacher, hands to self, finish work, stay quiet) and he earns 3 pennies per class period. If he earns his pennies, he gets 5 minutes free time (he usually pics computer). This has worked quite awesomely. I like the work for something idea for this head hitting. I'm thinking maybe he can sit with **** at lunch if he does not hit his head from the morning till lunch. I think he might work for that! thanks and I'll let you know how it works out. Today I did try the desk push ups and that worked for the one time he hit his head. Today was a very casual day as we had kids out for special olympics (he goes tomorrow). So, he didn't get frustrated. Plus, he wore his shoes that don't tie!!!!!!! Have a great weekend!
    atk

10. LindaPinda

LindaPinda New Member

Apr 24, 2010

Swallowed pennies turn into shrapnel

Ever since pennies started to be made with a zinc core, they have become a hazard. A swallowed penny with a zinc core reacts with stomach acids to produce hydrogen gas and zinc chloride, which will erode the stomach lining. IMHO they aren't appropriate for use in the classroom. I prefer poker chips because they are too big to swallow and several of my students have enjoyed their texture.

11. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Apr 24, 2010

for auditory stimming what about if you gave him a picture schedule with a specific time (may need to start with a few times a day and then slowly decrease the amount of times) that is for tv talk, and then use a visual timer so he knows when tv talk time is over.

12. atkhorses

atkhorses Rookie

Apr 25, 2010

This student is really good about schedules and timing. He knows when we are about to change classes (he is in one out period and knows when lunch is)he also knows the order of classes and names of them. I'm a bit confused on tv talk and what that is. We use a timer when he earns his break time and when it dings he knows it's time to move on. We actually started with 5 pennies and are down to 3 and now he has become independent and consistent enough that some days go by without using the penny chart. We generally give a 5 minute break at the end of a lesson before switching to the next class. So eventually (and we're almost there) the chart will go away. For hitting his head issue I'm going to use the person he likes to sit by in the cafeteria (the at-risk teacher who walks around during lunch) for the reward of NOT hitting his head. Then I will start over for the next day after lunch. I think that he is capable of remembering and will try hard with this reward. If after lunch till the next day is too long at first I need to try another reward for the period after lunch until the end of the day and wean from there. Maybe the desk/wall pushups?? I appreciate your advice on this one so much! I'll let you know how it goes.

13. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Apr 25, 2010

I posted that as a response to the original poster