Audio books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Mar 31, 2011.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 31, 2011

Is there a trick to buying audio books?? I bought a cd with a collection of Roald Dahl book for my low readers..I wanted them to listen and follow along with the book. Well, one my students tried it out yesterday and the cd does not follow the book. :mad: I'm sooo bummed. It never occurred to me that it would be different.

If I buy more audio books, is there a way to tell if it will follow the book exactly before purchasing it?

I did find three of the Harry potter books on cassette at the Goodwill for $3 each, which I was excited about and the books seem to follow the tape exactly.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

Interesting, I've never had this problem before. I usually buy the audio books that come with a copy of the text. Not sure if this is why, but it seems to work.

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 31, 2011

bummer, I never heard of that either.

I usually get them from scholastic.

In fact with a grant i got from our PTO, i just bought 300$ worth, Hope they all match :0

5. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 31, 2011

I am with mopar. I haven't had this happen to me before either.
    Goodwill or Salvation Army are awesome for finding deals on items like audio cassette tapes. Great find.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 31, 2011

Try rfbd if any of them have an IEP or 504

7. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Mar 31, 2011

I've encountered "abridged audio" (on Amazon and on some publishers' sites) for some books that weren't clearly marked as such.

I've also encountered "unabridged audio books" that were based on a rewritten version (e.g. an audio for Romeo and Juliet that was merely someone reading the Charles & Mary Lamb Tales from Shakespeare version of the story [or another condensed or rewritten version], or an audio for Frankenstein that's based on a publisher's ten-chapter remedial-reader version).

Factors to watch for:
    • Audio length (65 minutes isn't enough to read all of Frankenstein)
    • Reading level (Frankenstein isn't Grade 4).
    • Length of any linked print work (e.g. if the publisher offers a read-along book that's 48 or 64 pages, or has exactly 10 chapters).
    • Any language signaling "remedial" or "struggling" readers.
    • If the publisher name is listed, check the publisher's web site (for example, many Edcon audios are abridged/remedial versions). Unfortunately, many distributors resell audio books without identifying the real publisher.
    • Note that for some books, there are "special versions" available (when I subbed in several classes in one middle school, one teacher raved about how she loved the special unabridged audio CD for The Outsiders that was read at a "slower pace," while another teacher complained how that version "wasted time").
    • Some vendors also sell "audio versions" that are merely computer-generated speech, not a human reader. Look for a name for the person reading or narrating the work.
    It's very annoying to find that the process of buying an audio book (which ought to take 3 minutes, once you have funding) actually takes 15 or 30 minutes because of these issues -- and even then, 10% of the time you find that the product isn't what you thought you were ordering.

Always consider asking someone for guidance -- if not another teacher in your school or district, just post an inquiry here ("Which audio version of Frankenstein have you used, and what do you recommend?").

In my directory of Literature Lesson Plan resources (LessonIndex.com), I've tried to distinguish "abridged audio" from complete audio editions, but sometimes it's just not clear.

FYI, BookCloseouts.com is having a 50% off sale on audio books right now -- I found many audio books (CDs) discounted to under $5 (always be careful to check if the audio version is CD or cassette).

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 31, 2011

All the audio books at www.sproutclassrooms.com match up. You get the book with the audio part. They are about $7 for the audio and book.

9. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 31, 2011

Thank you for all the information.. Apparently, the CD I bought was abridged. Oh well, now I know what to look for.

I'm excited because I got my most reluctant reader listening to Harry Potter and he's really into it! :D

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2011

I've bought good ones from Scholastic, Weekly Reader, and Costco
    (my favorites right now from Costco are abridged classics, but they come with the book that matches up, and I have 2nd graders, so we need abridged versions!)

I also check them out from the library.