Attn: To Those Without Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2013

I'm sure lately, you've heard TV & radio ads about the site https://www.coveredca.com/

Today, Mon., the 23rd, is the last day to sign up to be covered starting Jan 1st. What have you uninsured people signed up for, whether through the site or some other company?

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 23, 2013

The deadline has been extended until tomorrow.

4. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 23, 2013

That site is, obviously, only for Californians. Healthcare.gov is the one for the whole country to find healthcare options.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2013

I found out you really have until 3/31/14 to sign up without having to pay that penalty.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 27, 2013

Thanks for the post Ms. I! One of my dear friends is having a lot of health issues and made the decision NOT to have health insurance (even though I've been telling him for years that's not a wise decision, especially since he has children).

Now he desperately needs to see a doctor and is struggling to pay out of pocket. It makes me so sad and I don't want to be a "I told ya so" person, but since he first told me he was cancelling his health insurance 3 years ago I told him NOT to do that.

To me, it's just not worth the risk. Plus it's not like he's a Vegan, the exercises an hour a day, lives stress-free and has an easy life. Nope, he's more meat and potatos, fast food, working 2 jobs, single dad, kinda guy.

We're on the East Coast, so I'm going to check the Healthcare.gov site to see if there's anything for my state.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling for me. :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2013

You're welcome!

8. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 27, 2013

Em_Catz, the good news for him is that starting in 2014, insurance companies can no longer reject him due to pre-existing conditions. It might have been close to impossible for him to find a decent plan before, but now he'll have more options. :)