Attn job seekers willing to relocate

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, May 14, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

An FYI. North Carolina (which desperately needs teachers in some parts) has proposed a tax hike on cigarettes and alcohol to give teachers a 7% raise. Base pay this year is $29,750 for the state, plus any supplemental income a district pays (mine is average- $2000). A 7% increase would bring the starting salary to $31,832.50 (which I'm sure they'd round to like 31,800 or something). Plus any supplemental income. So, a beginning teacher in my district (which needs teachers, but not really elementary ones) would start at over $34K (we also are getting $500 added to our supplement, taking it to $2500). If you worked in the city (like Charlotte), you'd make more. Their supplement can be up to $5000-6000 depending on the school. So a beginning teacher could make about $37,800 there!!

Some people always looked down on teaching in NC because of their pay. However, they have come a LONG way in just a few years. Plus we get bonuses if our school meets our growth goals.

For those of you who are reluctant to relocate, it is not that bad. It is much worse antagonizing over the move than the move really is!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 14, 2008

Do you have teachers unions? What about duty free lunch (30 minutes). Specials? benefits packages?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2008

Maybe I could convince my husband to look for geology work in North Carolina... It IS tempting.

5. glenn

glenn Rookie

May 14, 2008

Here is an example of what one district in AZ starts teachers at:
    These are numbers from 2007 - 2008 school year.

Beginning salary starts at $34,500.

Compensation may be granted for education above a Bachelor’s Degree in 18 credit hour increments.

Up to five years of educational experience may be granted.

The first five years of experience are paid at $800 per year.

Additional compensation may be awarded for hard to fill
    positions

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 15, 2008

No unions. I am anti-union anyway, which is off because I am from the birthplace of unions. I feel they are antiquated.

As for duty free lunch, it varies by school. I believe they are trying to get it mandatory. I get it on Monday's only. It is not as bad as I had envisioned it.
    Planning also varies. I have 3 45-minute periods per week, and USUALLY have an additional 30 minute period. That is also something they are trying to get changed.
    However, the school day is shorter here, which cancels out the lack of planning. School day for students is 6 hours and 20 minutes for me. Teacher day is 7 and a half hours.

Benefits- employees are fully paid. Elective benefits vary by district. I am not a good judge of this, because I grew up with insurance through General Motors. So ALL insurance is inferior!