ATTN: CALIFORNIA Job Seekers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

MissWull, I am sorry that your husband lost his job and hope that he will be able to find something soon.

2. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 6, 2009

STG & Jessica

Thanks for your kind words. :) I'm hopeful, but with this being the second week of searching and no good call backs, I'm starting to worry a little. I can't imagine what I'll be like if this is still the case a few weeks from now. But I know he's trying to find a job comparable to the one he was let go from...so he may just have to broaden his search and lower his expectations a little (unfortunately)...just to have something.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2009

What was he doing before?

4. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Mar 6, 2009

I agree. It's a terrible time to have just completed a credential program, like I have...there are simply no jobs, anywhere. And even if there were any, there are so many out-of-work teachers with far more experience than my two years. I am applying out of state right now. While my family is here, I've lived out of state before, and I'd much rather have a good public school job and lower cost of living where my kids can have a higher quality of life, than stay here to be near family and struggle like I have been for another year or longer. I don't know how hard it is to get hired in another state, though.

I am lucky to have a job, I know...but it is at a tiny private school. I've been here two years and make a dismally low hourly wage. I'll nearly double my pay by going into the public school system. If I can get in! So I'm seeing what comes of other states where I know people. My mom is so disappointed--she'd hoped I'd get a job in a district near where they live. She loves having the kids visit. But I can't feed, shelter and clothe the kids on happy visits with grandparents.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 7, 2009

An Admissions Assistant at a private college, which he got lucky with because he started as a temp. at the front desk, then they liked him so much, they created a position for him to stay. If he had a degree, he could easily go to another college and work...but most of them want a degree, which is understandable...like I said, he got lucky at his last job, he just made a smooth transition.