ATTN: CALIFORNIA Job Seekers

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, Mar 1, 2009.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

To all of you who currently live in California and are trying to find a teaching job: What is your take on the teaching situation out here? Do you feel hopeful about getting a contract for the upcoming year? or, does it seem even more dismal than last year? Based on our recent state sales tax increase(9.25%..which now makes us the highest taxed state in the nation, nice), our doubling of our vehicle registration, and our increasing unemployment, (10.1%) I'm guarded with my optimism. I'm still applying to schools, but mostly parochial, private schools, as it seems most of the districts are laying off teachers, not hiring. Just wondered what others are thinking at this point.

3. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

I have given up. I'm moving to Texas. I graduated two years ago, was the top of my class, have an amazing amount of experience with low economic students, and wonderful letters of recommendation. However, I live in a town with 80,000 pop. Last year they laid off 30 teachers this year 120. That is a lot of experienced teachers that are looking for jobs. So, I have called it quits and decided to look elsewhere. I'm in Northern California though. We are a very large state so it depends on where you are. I believe the Sacramento area, Bay Area, and LA are still hiring. But, not sure how long it will hold up.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

Hi Mego65,

I'm here in Southern California, which is a highly impacted area. Los Angeles Unified School District, amongst many others in the area, are laying off teachers as well. In other words, it's no better here. I am also highly qualified, with lots of experience. I'm also looking to possibly relocate as I check out other states and what they have to offer. You are right though, there are just way too many teachers out of work in this state. Anyhow, best of luck to you!

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

Have you looked into the bay area or Sacramento. I know last year they were still hiring not sure about this year though.

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

I did see that Elk Grove District (in Sacramento) was hiring, however haven't heard anything as of yet. I think they prefer folks that reside close by vs. folks that would have to relocate. that's my sense but I could be wrong.

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

I'm about two hours away from Sac and I know most people here had to move there to get a job. They didn't have a hard time, but we are a lot closer than you.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

Yeah, I went to Sacramento 2 years in a row when I taught at the parochial school on a field trip. Seems like a decent area, I suppose depending on what part of town you live in. We of course checked out the Capital and the downtown/old towne Sacramento was adorable.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2009

No district in the Sacramento area is doing any significant hiring right now. Elk Grove reached zero growth a couple years ago. San Juan and Sacramento City have declining enrollment. Add the budget crisis on top, and you get the idea. What hiring is going on is in credential areas they have always had trouble getting enough people.

FWIW if you look on EdJoin and see all the listings for Elk Grove, that doesn't mean they have openings. If the listing says "pool" it means a pool of applicants that administrators can interview from if and when they have an opening. And at this point, they don't have any openings except transfer opportunities. If they do have openings for new hires, you likely won't be contacted until sometime during the summer the way things have been going the past few years.

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

Well that's odd....EdJoin shows Elk Grove as having openings. Just shows how reliable those posting are. Makes all the sense in the world what you're saying Malcolm.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2009

No, EdJoin does not show openings for teachers in Elk Grove. It shows a whole bunch of "eligibility pools" which are lists of applicants for administrators to use if and when openings occur. They open these up every January whether they have openings or not. As pools, they are reliable. You just have to read the listings properly.

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2009

Last week, I watched a televised meeting of LA Unified. They are talking about having to cut their administrative staff by 1400. To do this they propose to move them all back into teaching positions. Then they would move the displaced teachers around as much as they can without having to fire them. So, as it stands today, job openings for new applicants will be pretty scarce (excluding Science teachers, of course).

13. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

I live in the Bay Area, and there are NO job postings.
    Last year, at this time, there were a lot more.
    Worse yet, they have been handing out pink slips like they're going out of style.
    Suddenly, even sub jobs are hard to come by and many out-of-work teachers have navigated toward the private schools.
    There is nothing here....nothing.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

I live on the central coast. Most districts have a hiring freeze right now. I am not optimistic at all. Sometimes I feel like crying. I am subbing and was really hoping to land a position for next year, but I fear that I might end up subbing yet again. It is so aggravating...

15. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Mar 1, 2009

I live in Sacramento and I know that neither Sacramento nor Elk Grove are hiring. And I read that Stockton School District (about 30 miles south of Elk Grove) is planning on laying off something like 300 teachers and administrators. So I haven't heard anything about anyone hiring. Many of my friends in the bay area who are teachers are not hopefull either. Most are nervous that they will be pink slipped as many are newer teachers. Sorry, I wish I had better news.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

TamiJ, I used to live in the central coast, and have pretty much given up on every living and getting a teaching job in SLO. *sob*

I'm in the middle of the central valley, and I think it's just about bad as anywhere else. My school district, at this very moment, has four openings, and they will probably go to the temps that have been laid off. It's a VERY scary time right now. I'm thankful that my hubby has finally decided to go back to school to get his math credential. I know he will not have too much of a hard time getting a job, especially since he will prolly work for alternative high school. I am working on getting my second bachelors and teaching credential for science. So, we'll see how that goes. Gotta do what you gotta do. I wish we could move too, but all of the states that I would love to move to are just as bad.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

I keep looking at the job postings in SLO, but no luck. They seem to be looking for subs, or crossing guards, and other things...

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

I went to Cal poly's job fair last year and they said that they were hiring about 20 teachers. Of course, I never got called in for an interview. I'm sure they hired people they knew. Bleh!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

Peachyness,
    I have a friend who teaches 5th grade in one of the school districts up there and she just got pink slipped. It's a bad situation and I am sure any positions that open up will go to the pink slipped teachers (and rightly so). So, the job possibility is just so bleak and depressing...

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

Yeah, I bet. Well, it's always been pretty bad in that area. When I was student teaching in the SLO district and Orcutt district, oh, back in 2005, they were pink slipping left and right too. But, I'm sure it's a lot worse now. A total shame too. It's an absolutely beautiful place to live.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

Actually, I am also hoping that something might open up a little south of here in Ventura. I think it might seem more likely. It seems like they typically have more openings. We'll see...

22. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 1, 2009

I'm in Southern Cal. I don't even think we are having a job fair for our local school districts this year. I'm discouraged. I'll sub next year. I just hope this doesn't last for more than a year or two. :(

23. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 2, 2009

It's bad. It's worse than last year or any year yet. I've been pink slipped, I'm in a small, wealthy school district and they don't have money to keep some of their teachers. This is in a district where families are expected to contribute $3500 per child. I don't have hope of finding a job for next year and I'm also concerned about the prospects of substituting. I imagine that market will be over saturated as well.

24. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 2, 2009

I don't think there are any local job fairs around either. I'm looking at jobs completely outside of education now. I don't know if I can live off another year of subbing...barely making it as it is. I'm also checking out schools in Arizona. I have a friend who is a police officer there w/her husband...I may just relocate. Gosh, I was hoping to hear at least some parts of Cali are hiring, but it does seem really bad throughout the state.:(

25. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2009

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm wondering what to do about BTSA and getting a clear credential within 5 years.
    Relocating is not an option. Thankfully, my husband's job is secure and pays the bills (but there's nothing left over :( ).
    I'm sure there won't be any subbing jobs this week due to parent-teacher conferences.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

The CTC allows for extension of time in which to finish BTSA if one can't get a job within five years. I don't remember all the ins and outs of it, but the local county office of education should be able to supply more information.

27. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2009

Whew. Thanks, TG, for once again coming to my rescue!!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

You're welcome, jd123. I try to ensure that my advice is worth more than people pay for it.

29. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

Yes, thanks-- BTSA is a real BITCHA!

30. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2009

It's worth all its weight in chocolate!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2009

Now that's recompense!

32. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2009

Thanks for all the info everyone. I was wondering about BTSA, too. I was a non-reelect so at least I can live off unemployment insurance until something comes up (for about a year at least). Good luck to us all. :)
    PS anyone know anything about California Virtual Academies?
    they're on Edjoin as well.

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2009

Katrinakakat, that's s funny you ask! I saw that and am applying there. I know nothing about it though.

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2009

the school district where my daughter attends (I don't sub there) is having a meeting today. They want the teachers and parents to rally together and fight the pink slipping. I am not sure how that would work, because the money just isn't there. In any case, I am attending the meeting.

35. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2009

FWIW pink slips do not necessarily mean you won't have a job next year. Districts issue pink slips because state law requires teachers to be given notice by a certain date if they won't have a job next year. Unfortunately, that date is three months before the state budget, which determines district budgets, is due on the governor's desk. And our wonderful legislature hasn't had one on his desk on time in twenty years. So, districts issue pink slips...

36. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

Have been teaching here in PA for the past 4 years and was planning on moving out to the Inland Empire for SY'10-'11 because of family. Reading about the budget cuts and what-not makes me a little worried but then again I have my Math 7-12 cert. What's the job outlook for Math/Science/SPED teachers for SY'09-'10?

37. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

PATeacher, you may want to check the Los Angeles Unified School District web site. I think they may still be hiring math/science/SPED teachers. Those have been considered "high need" areas for the past few years now. However, in these dire times even those subjects are not as plentiful, but it's worth looking into. I mention Los Angeles because they are a very large district. (2nd largest to New York) Best of luck to you.

38. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Mar 5, 2009

Is anyone attending the job fair in Roseville this Saturday? I have planned on attending for awhile now, and of course...I am now super sick! I'm hoping to be better in time to attend.

39. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 5, 2009

I'm in southern CA as well and it looks more dismal than last year. The district I wanted to get into lost 15 million last year, and this year they're losing 22 million. My hopes of working there are no more.

My husband and I were considering moving to Oregon. We were looking for jobs and places to live up there. Then he lost his job...and now we figure it'll be better if we stay put, once again. This is only his 2nd week looking for a new job, but things don't seem to be going too well. To top it off, he is still going to school for his degree...so the bad job market and no degree is really hurting him.

From what I have seen, there are absolutely NO teaching jobs being offered at any district, if the district is hiring at all. To be living in California right now is just horrible.

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2009

I'm sorry about your husband's job, MissWull.

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2009

For Inland Empire and mathematics, you could look inland, rather than at LAUSD. Contacting districts directly might be smart. You might want to check in with the school districts in these counties, depending on where exactly in the Inland Empire you mean: Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial. If you Google "___ county office education", the search should spit up the Web sites for the county offices of education, and each county office should list all its districts complete with Web sites.

The outlook for 2009-10 is probably not so hot, though much depends on exactly what of the state budget and the federal stimulus funds flows to schools and how... but a math certification is a whole different animal.