ATTN: Baltimore Teachers!!!--(I also posted in secondary forum)

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mrs.SLF, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 11, 2005

ATTN: Baltimore Teachers!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all who may read this,
    I was wondering if anyone on here worked in the Baltimore City school district and could tell me anything about working there. I am very anxious to either begin graduate education or get into an alternatove preperation program to become a teacher. My school does not have a secondary education program at the undergraduate level so I majored in political science (which I love) in hopes of furthering my education. I have been really looking into the Balitmore program that recruits non-education majors to teach in their schools and I was wondering if it was worth my time. I am very aprehensive about applying to the program because I don't know if I can deal with another let down (I applied to Teach For America last year and didn't get in because I did not attend an Ivy!) and if I should just go into graduate school instead. I would really love if anyone who teaches in Baltimore to give me any type of advice or information about the system and what I could possibly expect! Thanks in advance!

Steph

3. Riley313

Riley313 New Member

Aug 17, 2005

I've taught in Balt. City for 10 years. It has its problems just like other districts. It also depends upon where you teach. I have known several teachers that have come into the system as non-educaton majors and had to give 5 years after the completion of the certification program. Some of them are still in the program and love it. Others have quit deciding that teaching is not for them.(not sure if it was the city or the teaching itself.)
    Any more specific information you would like to know?

4. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 18, 2005

Riley313,
    Thanks for your response. I am applying to the teacher residency program in Baltimore city and I will hopefully be placed at the secondary level (but I would teach elementary school in a heart beat if it were available)...do you know how competitive the program is? I really want to teach and I am willing to work in an area that is hard to staff or high need and low income..what are living conditions like in Baltimore? I really am going through this blind since I have not been to Baltimore in recent memory and I have no idea what it is like. I was also wondering if there was a good deal of support for new teachers in the district as well. Any information you could give me would be great! I am desperate for information!!! Thanks again!

Sincerely,
    Steph

5. momtomm

momtomm Rookie

Aug 18, 2005

If I were you, I would not teach or live in Baltimore City. I have lived in Baltimore County almost my entire life, and I would never consider teaching in the city. Most of the good behavior schools- already have teachers that never leave. The rest of the city schools have too many behavior problems. The great places in the city to live-cost too much for a teacher to live on. Again, this is my opinion-I do not want anyone to take offense at what I said. Again, there are exceptions to every rule, but if you read the Baltimore Sun Newspaper-you will see that the Board of Education is having trouble recruiting teachers to the area.

Laura

6. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 18, 2005

Momtom,
    Thanks for your insight. If you wouldn't mind me asking, where do you teach? As well, how bad are the schools and the system if they are having trouble recruiting teachers? I am also not even sure where the nice parts of the city are (if you could tell me the neighborhoods, I would truly appreciate it)...I'm up for a challenge but I don't want to risk my safety and well being at the same time. Thank you in advance.

Steph

7. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 19, 2005

I teach in a private school in Baltimore County and we occasionally get a student who is transferring in from the city. The behavior of these students is rarely acceptable and they are generally far behind students in the same grade level. I would have to be very desparate to work in a Baltimore City school.

Yes, there are a few bright spots around Baltimore as far as places to live. Roland Park is one that comes to mind and the area around Loyola College seems nice. You will just need to investigate very thoroughly.

I wouldn't recommend coming to Maryland at all. Very high cost of living and very high taxes, especially in the Baltimore Washington Metro Area, are almost as big a deterrent as the unaffordable housing.

Best Wishes,
    Ed

8. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 19, 2005

Emccoy,
    Thanks for the reply. I am up for a challenge but I don't want a challenge that puts my safety at risk. What type of behavioral problems do these students have? How bad is the district overall? Are they really desperate for teachers? I am taking everything everyone has said to heart and I just want to weigh my options.

9. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Aug 19, 2005

I don't know much about the Baltimore schools but I did live there from 96-98. I personally don't care much for the city and there are unsafe areas but you shouldn't have any problem finding inexpensive housing in a relatively safe area. Cost of living in Baltimore is very low by East Coast standards. I know plenty of females who lived in the city and felt perfectly safe. Most of them were in grad school so they had little money but were still able to afford living in decent neighborhoods.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2005

I live and work in Anne Arundel County, the area to the south of Baltimore City. I was going to respond to this earlier, but thought it best to bite my tongue...you know, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all??

Well, here goes. I'd NEVER live or teach in Baltimore City. We have one of the highest murder rates, per capita, of any city in the US. We're also at the top of the teen pregnancy rates, the HIV positive rates, and there is a huge drug market. I did one of my student teaching placements in the city, and it was so rough in our neighborhood that we were advised to have a security officer walk us to our cars in the parking lot. (Yes, even the elementary schools had security). The kids I had were in second grade, and weren't even registering on the Kindergarten level in reading. The behaviors were horrible.

In theory, they need the best teachers possible in that situation. If you're up to it, more power to you, but, personally, I'd never put myself in that situation.
    Kim

11. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 19, 2005

Wow...those are some very strong opinions and are greatly appreciated. I want to do something grand in an urban area but I don't want a security guard to walk me to my car on a daily basis. I did look up some of the violence statistics in Baltimore city schools and was shocked at the incidents. I am really reconsidering applying to the program now (even though part of me feels that I might be able to make a difference but, at what cost to myself?) and I thank all of you for your input.

Steph