Attn: 6th grade teachers

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Teacher Chele, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

I am a 5th grade teacher and I want to know what some of your expectations are for your incoming 6th graders. In our district, 5th is in the end of elem. and in 6th they go to middle school. I want to get some ideas of what they should be prepared for.
    Thanks, y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

Please make sure they know their math facts!! I'm 5th grade now, but I cannot tell you how many kids came up to 5th not knowing their math facts and how to divide (long division). It's like a dying art or something!

4. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 15, 2009

Math facts is a big one. Also fractions and geometry concepts.

5. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jun 15, 2009

Writing eligibly would be wonderful :) But that is probably not a teacher thing.. I think that is just the creative ones haha..no just kidding..but I agree math is a lost art for sure!

6. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

Math facts! I have students who really struggle with basic math facts. They need that foundation to be strong when they enter middle school.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

In LA, I expect my 6th graders to already know story elements, reading & writing genres, how to choose a book that's right for them, basic grammar, how to write a cohesive paragraph, how to punctuate dialogue, and how to answer a question (and address all parts of a question) in complete sentences.

8. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

Here are the items my 6th grade team notices the most often:

Math Facts!!!

Spelling - our elementary school allows students to spell phonetically all the way through 5th grade and the kids have a hard time understanding why they get misspelled words marked wrong once they hit 6th!

How to write complete sentences and proper paragraphs - our LA teacher spend most of last year just trying to get our students to capitalize the start of a sentence.

Not using "text" lingo on homework! - IDK is not an acceptable answer to any homework or test question.

Thats all I can think of right now.

9. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I'm a 6th grade math teacher and couldn't agree more with knowing basic facts. I find it amazing how many kids don't know them.

The other thing, and I don't know how to approach it from an elementary level is basic organization. I think the key to all of this is learning to use an assignment notebook. I check assignment notebooks everyday for the first few months, but I find it amazing how many kids say they've never had to write down assignments before!

10. ledssciew

ledssciew New Member

Aug 7, 2009

Attn 6th grade teachers

How long are these after Christmas prices gonna last? Im waiting for the big Federal check to come and would like to make a big purchase. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Rich

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

In elementary school they have a folder and all their worksheets go into it - they don't have to write it down in many schools.
    Both the district I teach in and the one where my kids attend use assignment books. Thank Goodness for that!

12. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I just glanced through my son's school supply list. I find it odd that it is a required supply in 4th grade to bring in $$ for the school assignment notebook. However, in 5th grade assignment notebooks aren't required. What? If they can start the habit in 4th grade, perfect it in 5th, by middle school it's second nature. Just made me giggle a bit that in 4th grade it is required, but not 5th. That's just some ranting from a 6th grade math teacher . . .

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Rant away! I'm with you - that is just goofy planning on the part of those fifth grade teachers!