attitudes: push on

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jan maarten, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jan maarten

jan maarten New Member

Feb 26, 2005

from the Netherlands

As a teacher of 7-9 years old I have to teach them to work independent, self supporting: read your book and the instruction/order and start working.
    Don't give up, read it again, try, do something....
    BUT my new class sits back, waiting for assistance, working together to get answers (sometimes this is perfect, but not always)
    Anybody an idea how to change this attitude?
    -I tried many already, but still not satisfied-
    Is it the new child? Having a passive, consuming attitude?
    Where is its curiousity?
    where do I pull that trigger?

thank you!

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Feb 27, 2005

Modeling for the students

dear jan,
    If a student has not had the procedures for independent work skills shown to them (modeled for them,) they will struggle and ask for help. I have found that my teachers in university classes have been the role models and have conducted their classes for us just as they hope we will teach our students. They have used many methods, but most often, it is learning to teach through observing and experiencing what the teacher does. They explain an assignment, model how it is to be handled, then ask us to repeat the procedures by doing them. If you hand out a workbook, you model how to read it carefully, how to mark the answers, how to read it over at the end, etc. If you are doing group projects, you do the same thing. This way you have them also teach each other. Learning is always through imitation of the role model. maxine