Attire Colors

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2009

What color combinations do you usually wear regarding your attire?

I'd say I wear black & white the most or black & some other color. I want to wear a bigger variety of complimentary colors that doesn't always involve black, such as:

- pink & gray
    - pink & brown
    - navy blue & red
    - grey & red
    - brown & light blue

3. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

depends on the season; winter usually wear darker colors while summer brighter colors.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

Lots of black and white, with red and pink thrown in. Although I do love a good lime, and I bought a fantastic neon lemon J Crew sweater with TeacherShelly the other day at a consignment shop. $15, and I'm sure it was originally over $100. Silly J Crew. It's so wild-you seriously need sunglasses to see me in it. ;)

5. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 13, 2009

Our school colors are white, gray, and maroon, so it won't be uncommon for a male teacher at my school to be wearing gray slacks, a white dress shirt, and a maroon tie. We're not required to wear those colors, but our P says if we wear them once a week or so, it reinforces a sense of school spirit and encourages the students to take pride in their uniforms.

G-minus 4 days, 1 hour

MathManTim

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

I typically wear a lot of browns, or blacks and greys. I have to make myself put on color some days. My new favorite though is navy, green, and white. I LOVE that color combo. So preppy but cute. Teal has been another big color for me lately.

For the most part, I have a variety of pants in skirts in greys, browns, and blacks. Then I wear something in color on top.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

Here is what my SO had to say about this topic. Colors that are complementary depend on your skin tone. For instance, I am fair complected and pale. For my skin tone, warm colors are most complementary. I choose complex colors, burnt oranges, rich browns and tans, and maroons. I really like dark green, deep blues, and violets but these aren't as complementary to my skin tone.

I can't remember how she determined my skin tone or her own for that matter but there you go.

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Last year I chose a "weekly color" and wore something in that color each day. I did this to add more color to my wardrobe (I was wearing black everyday) and also to get out of the rut of wearing the same favorite things over and over.

Colors I pair up (besides black):
    brown & wine, magenta, copper, or green
    tan & brown, blue, or olive green
    gray & wine, magenta, blue, red, lavender (anything that goes with black)
    olive green & pink, copper, or gray

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I love color and have a huge amount of tops of all solid colors & designs, but not really any bottoms of many SOLID colors (however, colored patterns/designs is another story!) But it's not my fault, the stores in my area simply don't really have solid colored bottoms other than black, brown, or gray, but when I see other colors them, I ge them...fast! Just last week, New York & Co. had a solid magenta skirt that would be great for work & the price was right, so I jumped & got it. When I went a week later because my mom needed one, they were sold out already.

carlea, yes, that's a great idea to get out of the waering black rut. I know, black makes one look slimmer & all, but color IS indeed great too! :)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I have all neutral/pseudo-neutral bottoms. I have black, brown, khaki, gray, navy, winter white, and olive green in dress slacks, casual slacks, capris, and skirts.

My tops are in a variety of solid colors and prints.

I do, however, have some favorite color combinations:
    * black & white
    * brown & salmon
    * brown & teal
    * olive green & red

Most all of my clothes are "mix & match". I rarely buy anything that makes ONE single outfit. Usually it has to be a special occasion outfit to be "single use".

11. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

My skin is so pale sometimes I wonder if I'm half albino or something, SO I never wear white (at least not as a main color) because it totally washes me out!

I love wearing bright colors. I also have a ton of brown and that's what I wear a lot. The amount of clothes I have is sad! My apartment has 2 bedrooms, each with a full wall of closet space and I've filled 1 1/2 of the closets and 3 dressers with clothes. However, I still wear the same size I did in college, so I've been accumulating clothes for a while :)

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

I wear black. I guess I go for the Irish Vampire look :lol:

I have the typical Irish extremely pale skin that veins show through (I don't tan, ever--I burn and peel and go back to ghost white, so I wear dorky hats in the summer if I have to) and very dark hair, so I figure I may as well work the contrast and not fight it. I also love dark nail polish and red/plum lip gloss colors. People either think I'm really pretty or they want to tie me to a sun deck for a week or two.

Once in a while, if I am feeling adventurous, I will wear dark purple. :lol:

My summer clothes are a bit more varied (favorite piece this summer is a white denim mini I got at ATL), but at least 95% of my wardrobe is black. Most of my jeans are black too.

I don't hate color though. To the contrary, when I was working as a graphic designer, I always used a lot of color and I have a generally very good color sense. But, color speaks to me too much. When I study, I color code like mad because it really helps me. I had one professor nag me for my class notes because he would watch me change markers and use all sorts of colors on my notes and he thought I was wasting time. In reality, I was color coding everything and reinforcing it all. Black is the only color that feels "peaceful" to me. Anything else and I get annoyed with it by the end of the day.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2009

Iowa Teacher, same here. I have so many clothes, it's not even funny. I can open a clothing store w/ all the clothing & shoes I have.

14. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

So could I, Ms. I! I'm trying to weed out things I don't wear to give to Goodwill, but my problem is, it all still fits, so I think well *maybe* I'll wear it someday or need it if I get rid of it. Silly, but true!

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I am so boring! I wearn black and tan
    black and white
    tan and white
    navy and white
    black and red sometimes
    tan and navy sometimes.
    and for my big splash black and lime green

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven