Attention issues

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by AngelM, Oct 7, 2007.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I am in dire need of suggestions . . .

I have a student in my class who has been (in previous years) diagnosed borderline ADD. The child is not medicated and will not be.

I cannot get this student to finish anything in a timely manner. She is not being disruptive but is simply staring into space, playing with her hands, etc. . . . anything but doing her work. This is most painful during test times because we cannot drag a test out all day long so that she can finish. I can see where the attention issues are affecting her grades. I end up having to rush her to finish tests and then she makes careless mistakes. I have informed the parents of this.

I have tried pulling her away from others and setting a timer. I cannot constantly stand over her and remind her to keep up b/c I'm trying to manage 19 other students! What else can I do??

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

Try setting smaller goals. "By the time I walk back over here, you need to have finished up to here" might work. Is she overwhelmed by the amount she has to do? Is the page presented in a way that doesn't overstimulate her?
    She might have other problems like dyslexia. Breaking the task down into manageable chunks might help. Also make sure that there is enough white space on the page so that her eyes can rest, not dart about.

Believe it or not, I found that copying worksheets onto pale blue paper helped a child like that in my class, less contrast, more restful for them. But this didn't solve the basic problem of a vey short attention span!

I have found repeatedly saying the child's name helps when they're off task, but it is difficult.

4. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Oct 7, 2007

Hi,
    Where is her seat in the classroom? Do you have a signal with her?

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

The tests are typical, standard formats. They don't seem overstimulating to me, but maybe they are to her . . .

Her seat is off to the side - away from the groups. I thought I might see a difference when I pulled her away, but honestly I haven't. It seems like she's more distracted by herself than environmental stimuli. Sometimes she will just be putting her head down during tests instead of working.