attention grabbing art project!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach4u34, Feb 24, 2009.

1. teach4u34

teach4u34 Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

We are having some principals and teachers come into our school next week and they will be walking up and down our halls and meeting us. We have been asked to put up something in our hallways that the students have done. Any attention grabbing cute idea will work because I can't think of anything. I would like something for Spring. Something that will knock their socks off.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2009

I just put up one for grandparents' day and it is cute, though nothing unusual. The headline was You Are the Sunshine of Our Lives. Each child cut out sunflowers from construction paper - petals and leaves, quite large. I gave them tan centers and they thumbprinted brown seeds on the tan center.

Our main hallway is always full of student artwork. There are weavings up now, wood-block prints, some framed collages, lots of other stuff, too. Some classes did stitched Molas that were wonderful - one won a prize at an art exhibit.

4. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Feb 24, 2009

Every year I do a beautiful tin foil stained glass project with my class. I usually do it in the spring, so it should work well. I give each student a piece of cardboard (8x8). It needs to be hard cardboard, NOT cardstock. Then I have each student draw a simple picture, with big spaces and few details. In the past, I've had students draw a sun, a rainbow, a flower, a ladybug... These all work well because they are so simple. Next I have to students cover all of their lines with white glue and thick string. I usually wait a day or two before doing the next part. Once the glue is dry, I put tin foil over the entire project. I do this part myself because I don't want the kids to rip the foil. You can tape the foil to the back so that it stays. Delicately push the foil around the string lines so that they pop out. I then have the kids use permanent markers to colour all sections of the picture (including the background). The only parts that remain silver are the lines that pop out. The project turns out nice and shiny. Even the most unartistic child is guaranteed to do something beautiful. Good luck!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 24, 2009

I've always wondered how they did this craft. I think I am going to do it with my class!

6. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Feb 25, 2009

For the past two years in the spring, I have done a project using black glue that turns out fabulous. First, the kids draw a large animal (I tell them to make it touch all four sides of the paper.) Then, they draw lines behind the animal about an inch apart. Next, they outline all lines in black glue. (Make by mixing white glue with black tempera paint.) Finally, after the glue has dried, they color in the background with crayon. I got the idea from this website: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Jan-value.htm.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2009

Are you an art teacher? Why not do something curriculum related? What are you studying this week? Cute for cuteness' sake doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you can hook an art activity into what you are studying I think it would impress principals and other teachers more than art work you created just to have something cute up.

8. teach4u34

teach4u34 Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

I like the foil art project also. Do you buy the cardboard at Hobby Lobby?

9. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Feb 28, 2009

I don't buy the cardboard, I just use old cardboard boxes. It takes a while to cut them up, but it works just fine.

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 28, 2009

what about rainbows and leprechauns for ST pat's day!

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Feb 28, 2009

Agreed- Why do something cute?

Do something that showcases the learning and teaching going on in your classroom- which I'd be more impressed by than a cute bulletin board.

Put the background on your board if you have one (or on the students work) of black paper to make their work "pop." Show a variety of ways you taught a lesson/theme/idea with multiple examples- pictures of the activity- charts/written work from the activity - student work from the activity - maybe utilizing different modalities.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2009

:)SO what did you end up doing?
    Just curious,
    Rebel1

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

Agreed... as an art teacher doing something for 'cute' sake is a big No-No.

Why not do Teacher portraits... or self-portraits where you can look at art history even connect it to social studies and presidents? Black history month (which just passed) and MLK?

Connect it to science and spring and do a drawing of ABOVE and BELOW ... how plants grow. You could mix it up by using watercolors and crayons.

Connect it to Math and have the kids use measurements to create a weaving using multiple medias.

What grade level you at? Are you an art teacher? If you clarify more I can offer more detailed options.