Attention grabber

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Dec 31, 2011

One of my professors shocked us in class when he threw a bunch of poker chips at us and said "hurry! pick up as many as you can!" This was how he started the lesson on predators and prey.

Does anyone else use attention grabbers like that to start lessons? If so, can you share with the newbie? Thanks in advance!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

Actually, similar to the one you saw, I used colored toothpicks in the grass. The green ones are especially hard to find. I'll keep thinking though.

4. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jan 1, 2012

Pick an item associated with your upcoming lesson. Wrap it like a present. Have someone like the principal deliver it to your room. Tell the children it is related to a future lesson. Let them make some guesses as to what it is. Later shake it a little, pass it around to see how heavy it is, and let them make a few more guesses. Do not open the gift until the next day.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2012

I like to do inquiry boxes. I put in an item that relates to the lesson and then let the students ask yes/no questions.

6. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 5, 2012

I like inquiry boxes too. I also like anything that involves bringing students up to the front. I've been doing that for probability and arrangements. They love it and get so into it!

7. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jan 5, 2012

I love this idea!

8. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jan 5, 2012

I have never heard of inquiry boxes. So do you have a box and tell them something is in it and they have to guess, with no other clues to start with?

Can you give me an example of an item you put in it and how it related to the lesson so I can have a better understanding?

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2012

attention grabbers:

The inquiry box--put something in like a baseball and then use it to springboard into writing a favorite sports moment, or use it talk about Japanese Internment camps and how baseball games were common, or Jackie Robinson, etc.

Photograph or magazine picture--same idea. It's a springboard. Describe what's happening. Then, today we're going to work on descriptive writing.

Short picture books
    A song, even sung terribly by the teacher
    A word splash-words having to do with a topic
    opinion survey
    KWL charts
    Interview your neighbor on what they know about...
    a poem