attention getting behavior

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

I'm running out of ideas for one child. He regularly has poor behavior. Sitting out doesn't help, because he still acts up. When he keep it up, I have him leave the classroom with an aide, until he settles down. He teases, name calling and starts fights with the other children, constantly talking, not following directions, being disruptive. We do behavior charts, talks, time out, regular reports home. Nothing seems to make a difference. I praise him every single chance I can find.
    Any ideas? (he is 4 years old)

3. love2help

love2help Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

Have you tried getting the parents involved?

4. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

yes

I send regular emails home, I send weekly behavior charts home, mom is trying to work with him at home. He has improved since the beginning of the year. Before he was really, really, tough, almost frightening. Now he just regular bad. :/ We've kind of hit a wall with him though, we still have a long way to go, but don't seem to be making any progress.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2011

You are making progress! You said so yourself. He is getting better, it is just slow.

One idea that you might want to try is to change the reward a little. Obviously what you are doing is working, he just might need it tweaked a little. Can you change his sticker reward to something else...he could probably even give you a good idea.

6. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Jan 21, 2011

I feel your pain! I am going through something like this right now. My assistant teacher and I have been thinking of doing a treasure chest type of thing for the whole class, where they earn stickers for doing certain things, and every so many stickers they get to pick a "treasure". Maybe something like that would help with your problem?

7. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 22, 2011

Thinking reflectively...how do you feel about this child? Have you recorded how your body responds to this child? Is there someone you trust that can come in to honestly observe you and your interactions and give you feedback. Or, can you and your assistant set up a video camera and record yourselves and then review it together to look for clues.

I'm working with a team of teachers now, and when we recorded their interactions and reviewed them together, they were amazed to see themselves on video saying and behaving in ways that contributed to the behavior they were experiencing with the students. It wasn't until they saw themselves on video or heard themselves on audio that my words started to get through to them. We were able to brainstorm together some solutions and try them. Some worked, some didn't but, the video and audio recordings were the turrning point for this team. Until that point, they thought it was all on the children and not anything they were doing.

Sometimes, its hard for teachers to see how they contribute to behavior difficulties with challenging children.

8. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 22, 2011

smpeterson77- we have been doing the treasure chest thing for the whole class since September. I does help for some things.

pre-k teacher-I can honestly say my aides are wonderful and very patient. They are very fed up and drained. but try not to show it in front of any of the children. I try as well. I have been trying to build a relationship also. He can be very sweet, but falls apart very quickly, with very little provocation. and doesn't care about time outs, he like prizes, but doesn't really work for them.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2011

Maybe instead of a prize, he will work for a positive note to mom, computer time, first out to the playground, etc....

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 22, 2011

One thing I do, that will help YOU, is to pull up the documentation from the beginning and place that in some place you can find it easily. When you feel that you are not making progress, read where you were.

I feel your pain, and have my own child that has many needs. I also have many children in my classes that are difficult. Remembering where you have come from.....ALWAYS......helps you see how far you have come.

Sadly, that all I have for now. Hope it helps.

11. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 23, 2011

I had a Sped. Ed. teacher help me when I had a child that behaved similar to what you described. She said, "Sometimes, something will only work for a while and then you have to find another solution." She was also the one that gently helped me to see how I contributed to some of the behavior and helped me to put some things in place to try. She also suggested what WaProvider stated. This was very helpful! It's good to look back at what you have accomplished and celebrate the progress!