Attention getters

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Twinkleberry, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Twinkleberry

Twinkleberry New Member

Dec 3, 2011

Hi
    I am teaching grade four and looking for some ideas on how to call the class to attention when they are working etc. I am using the "Class Yes" from whole brain teaching right now but am getting a bit tired of it. What do you do?
    I have heard of another teacher who uses jingles like she says "ho ho ho " and the kids answer "Green Giant" or she says " Da da da da da"and the kids say " Im lovin it". I think this idea is neat as it is a bit musical but am wondering if you all think that it would be a conflict of interest at all to use jingles in the class? Any opinions welcome! Thanks!

3. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Dec 4, 2011

My teaching neighbor next door uses this with her 3rd graders:

(it is to the tune of 'shave and a hair cut')

Teacher: "Bump bump ba bump bump" and the kids respond with "bump bump"

I use a variety, but one that I use all the time is called checking in. I stick my thumb up in the air and each student freezes, eyes on me with their thumb in the air. Sometimes, to get their group responding faster, they will say "thumbs!" I simply say "check in". It takes a lot pf practicing and training the first couple of weeks, but they get it eventually. It's nice because the room can be noisy with group projects, and I simply put up my thumb and it is almost instant quiet.

Something school-wide that is used is: Teacher: "1-2-3, eyes on me" and the kids respond with: "1-2 eyes on you".

4. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 10, 2011

I used Class and Yes too and got annoyed with it! lol

So now I still say it once and a while, but also say "Ham" and they say "cheese."

Also, "Peanut Butter" "Jelly" Warning: some will start singing peanut butter jelly time haha

Sometimes I clap and they repeat my clap(I only do that in one class).

Sometimes I whisper "If you can hear me raise your hand."
    If you can still hear me raise two hands.

It really depends. I don't stick to one thing, because it can be boring.

This time of year I find myself using them a lot. Nightmare before Christmas some teachers say haha

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Dec 11, 2011

Picture Worth Thousand Words

Say nothing. Go to the board (or?) and draw a picture of what you want students to do. Stand and point. Wait. Say nothing. When the first student does what you want write name on board, second student, third etc. under "On Task". Just before recess tell students with names on board they are done and may stop and leave. Rest of class keep working. At recess tell class you will, again, watch to see who is on-task when entering room or any time you need their attention and their names will go on board.

Basically kids get so used to hearing adults blah-blah-blah they tune much of it out. To get their attention one needs to shut up and go visual.

6. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Dec 23, 2011

Two of my favs that work well without raising my voice:

In my normal voice: If you can hear me, clap your hands once *wait* if you can hear me, clap twice... etc. Kids have been warned that beyond 3 claps, it isn't pretty -- I've never gotten to that point!

I also stand and wait and they catch on pretty quickly

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2011

I use my own variation of this. Works like a charm, doesn't it? :D

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I use the "Class Yes" and love it. I try to mix it up a bit by saying "class class" or varying my volume, etc.

9. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011

We ask the class to "Give Me 5" or start counting 3,2,1...both seem to work well with grade 3

10. cateste

cateste Companion

Dec 30, 2011

multiplication facts

Sometimes I yell out 8 times 7 and wait for an answer. It stops everyone while they think of the answer.

11. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Like that one!

12. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Jan 29, 2012

We use a clapping pattern, the teacher claps the pattern and the students respond with the same clap pattern.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 29, 2012

I have a harmonica that I wear around my neck on a lanyard.

I also have a set of chimes... oh those magical chimes... I trained my students really well at the beginning of the year to clean up and come to the carpet when they hear the chimes. It's incredible - I don't have to give verbal directions when I ring those blessed chimes.

14. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 4, 2012

I simply pick up my digital timer and hit the start button....they get it after the first or second time - this is our learning time and if they are using it to socialize, I will use their socialization time for learning.

I do use Class/Yes, clapping patterns, Hands/Eyes...many other things - ha - even "Red Robin" to which they reply "Yummmm," but the timer is by far the most effective.

15. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 25, 2012

I love chants...
    I say "Hocus Pocus"

they say "Everybody Focus"