Attention getters

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Lady Godiva, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Lady Godiva

Lady Godiva Rookie

Dec 11, 2009

any suggestions on how to get the students attention? songs? or chants? I ´ve tried with the following , but failed:( " one, two three eyes on me" and the children go " one two eyes on you", guess was not the best for my kids!!!

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2009

Flickering the lights is a good signal because it's so obvious. Perhaps you could ask their 2nd grade teacher what she used, they might already be trained.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2009

Check out the Whole Brain Teaching thread. I teach high school seniors, and when I say "class" they say "yes?" They say it back the same way I say it - "class class" gets "yes yes?" I learned that at a WBT seminar, and there's much more than that for both classroom management and teaching content.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2009

I found out quite by accident that even minor things can be used as an attention getter. I once walked over to the door when the secretary came to deliver a message. I lingered by the filing cabinet for a while and my whole class fell silent. Apparently, that was my "spot". They said every time I wanted their attention, I walked over to that spot, turned and faced them. I guess they paid less attention to what I said, and more where I was.

The key, I learned from that, is consistency. Whatever you do, do it EVERY time you need their attention. With 3rd graders, it will take quite a few times for them to get it, but they'll eventually learn.

6. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 11, 2009

I had a lot- capping, singing, etc... Now I do only two- class yes and singing. The singing is a great brain break and the class yes lets them talk a tiny bit. I also started hands and eyes, but I am still working on that one.

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Dec 12, 2009

Third grade is probably too old for this, but for my ickles we always used to do:

"Our hands go clap, clap, clap
    And our fingers go snap, snap, snap,
    Our mouths go--Shhhhh!'

I also would do Clapping syllables. "I see Jamie is ready---Let's clap it---Ja/mie! Let's pat it--Ja/mie Let's snap it---Ja/mie" And you'd do the syllables three different ways for their names.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 12, 2009

I look like I'm closing my eyes and I put my fingers in the air to count down from 10 (in sign) and the whole class is silent, up-right, looking at me and completely ready by the time I get to 0. Very rarely in the beginning (maybe 3-4 times) I had to say something like, "I'm still waiting for xxx" and then I would start over. It works like magic for my class. They don't always stay that way, but it totally gets their attention. I've never had to give a consequence for it. I did have to count over a handful of times but then that was it. It works like clockwork.

(Here's the irony... at home I use 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 in a VERY firm voice as the number gets lower and I have never ever had to give a consequence for it either... for some reason when nothing else works, the kids respect this and don't test it).

Sometimes I just stand there with my teacher look and wait.

These are just a variation of the same technique which is to stop teaching and let them notice this and wait for them to get back on track before you move on rather than talk over their heads, struggle with them, etc.

Other more positive things I do include rhythm movements (tapping head, etc) and having them copy me when they see me (Kindergarten). I do flicker the lights (it is a deaf class so this is a norm). I also might say, "I like that xx is raising his hand and sitting quietly" and with the biggest smile I put all my focus on that child.

As for that spot thing, I have one too. It is in the front of the classroom in circle time spot. I do different things there depending on what I'm wanting them to do but this was done so instinctively on my part that I didn't really teach it formally as much as they just got used to the CONSISTENCY and knew what to expect when they saw these things.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2009

For my 3rd graders, I clap a rhythm and have them echo it. It works well for me to get their attention when they are working groups, and also helps those 1 or 2 kids who can be day-dreaming and need more of a "nudge" back to paying attention.

10. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 12, 2009

I think whatever you do choose to use it has to be 'sacred,' that is, you have to enforce absolute quiet, sitting down, and listening. You have to be serious and you have to be ready to tell them something important or move on to the next topic. I think kids start to ignore signals from teachers if you're only half-hearted about it, or if the teacher gets them to be quiet for no reason.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2009

I have a chime that I ring. I love it! It's the best thing I have ever purchased.

12. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Dec 12, 2009

I use Harry Wong's "Give me five." I say, "Give me five, 1,2,3,4,5" and the kids count with me. Each number means a specific behavior:
    1. Eyes on speaker.
    2. Quiet.
    3. Hands free.
    4. Be still.
    5. Listen.
    We practice this a lot, and I make sure everyone is giving me all five.

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2009

I have a variety of attention-getters. I use a clapping or a shushing pattern, turn out the lights (but don't flick them on and off as this can be very disturbing for some students), and many different non-verbal signals such as a train whistle, chimes, clicker, slide whistle, old-fashioned bicycle horn (I use this one on field trips), and an electronic bell sold specifically for attention-getting purposes which has various sounds on it.

14. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Dec 13, 2009

Whole Brain Teaching's "class - yes"

A wind chime

Flipping the lightswitch

Sing "If you can hear me do what I do..." then clap, stomp, etc.

"Please do this (insert motion), please do this (another motion), please do this (finger on mouth-Shhh sound)."

Clap a simple rhythm to be repeated.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 13, 2009

Both of you have completely missed the point of the OP's question. It had nothing to do with maintaining interest, but getting the student's attention after an activity period or transition.

16. Arbie

Arbie Rookie

Dec 13, 2009

To get attention

:whistle:

If you start saying a nursery rhyme, they will just chime in and then at the end I do the hush sign (finger to mouth).

I also do several of the ones mentioned. We use call backs also.

Boomer......sooner

I can't remember them all. But I'll try to find the list.

Whatever you choose, you must allow no talking at the end of it or it won't work.

17. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Dec 14, 2009

Hey, I like that. I'll remember that next time I sub highschools though the high schools I subbed have been pretty good. Well, that 's because I don;t sub in the one that's notoriously scary if I were to use the word of another sub.

18. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Dec 14, 2009

That makes senses now that I think about it. Everytime I walked away that is the opposite direction of the them, they - elementary kids - stopped being noisy I all because their attention was to find out what I was going to be doing.