Attention Getters for Older Kids

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by paperheart, Jul 27, 2007.

1. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I am tired of using my old ways of getting attention. I don't think my last method (counting from 5 to 1) was particularly effective anyways. The other methods I used were, but were better off for my elementary kids.

What's your method to get attention after the students have been working on their own for awhile and you need to say something?

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I have no experience with this, but my plan going into high school teaching (that I saw while subbing) is actually similar to counting from 5 to 1... I'm going to let them know at the beginning of the year, when I need their attention my signal will be "Give me 5!" and put my hand in the air and start counting backwards- "Give me 5...4..." when they see this, they either put their hand up, sit quietly or get others around them quiet and if I hit 1, because they haven't quieted down, they have to sit and wait 30secs after the bell to leave.

But I'm interested in what others do.. because like I said, I haven't tried that out yet, but it was my plan

4. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I like the "Give me 5" thing, too. I have a college professor who still uses it, and it works well. :)

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I might just need them to have a specific response to it. I had my elementary kids do a hands up sort of thing and it worked like a charm. I may just add that back to what I was doing. Thanks for your input.

6. clogalbo

clogalbo New Member

Jul 27, 2007

I have used the counting with middle school students never high school students. I believe that it would work fine because it gives them a cue to be silent. I have also used clapping techniques that have worked very well. Where I clap a particular pattern and they have to repeat me pattern of claps.

7. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

there's always the traditional elementary approach to shut the lights off and wait for them to turn around.

8. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I just stop talking in mid-sentence. They seemed to work really well, but I think I'm going to try the hand thing this year. Unless something else good comes up.

9. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I use "Eyes here, mouths closed." It works well for me.

10. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I sometimes stand there and give "the eye". Someone will notice and say "she's waiting" and they'll settle down. They know if they keep me waiting then I'll keep them waiting for recess.

The 5 count works great . . . I think they've been trained from grade 1 to respond to it!!

Sometimes I'll quietly start to thank the kids that are ready "Thank you John. Thank you Sue" For some reason, they all want to be recognized!!

The key I think, is to have a consquence for those who are continuely disruptive or won't settle down. I have to admit - I give FAR too many chances to some repeat offenders . . . they can be quite funny and heart warming . . . this year I vow to be stricter and stay on task!!

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

I do the pattern clap. I also teach music, so it helps them copy rhythm patterns. I might try the countdown method also.

12. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

The clap trick was one of my fav. things when subbing little kids! It always shocked me how well that worked!! But, I will say I never did it in HS or Middle School because I was almost 100% positive they would look at me like "get real, lady"
    I would be afraid the older kids might think I was treating them like babies or something

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

I walk right up to the first desks and say "OK, let's get started."

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

I just went to a workshop where the leader used various noisemakers to regroup us when we were working in small groups - train whistle, bells, party noisemakers, etc.

15. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

foghorns? :partyhat: where's Irish Dave when I need him?

16. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

This is how I do it, too. No nonsense, just cut to the chase.

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

I have a lot of "drummers" in my classes. They love the challenge of trying to match my patterns. I come up with some whoppers! I've heard them talking in the halls about the difficulty levels. It is fun!

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

A teacher in my school says: "Freeze please" It seems to work fine. I'd like to use it but I don't want to be a copycat. So far I haven't found anything that I really like.

19. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Is drumming a developmental thing? A lot of my middle schoolers do it, and now all of a sudden my 12 year old has started doing it and is driving us CRAZY! Do you suppose it's a way to release hormonal energy or something? :confused:

20. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I"ve experienced a lot of this, too. My own teenage boys don't do it, at least not at home. I wonder if it's an AD/HD thing as the kids (almost always boys) who do it are almost always AD/HD. I don't mind them doing it when they're in groups -- as long as they're getting something done -- but any other time, I just give them the "look" or quietly move to the desk, place my hand on it, and the message is clear. I usually don't have to verbalize to stop it.