Attention first year teachers this fall

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SavedOne

SavedOne Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

7th Grade Language Arts
    El Dorado Arkansas
    School starts August 19, but I start August 6.
    I'm not real sure about our schedule... Im a first year
    and am still tryin to get acquainted with everything!!!

2. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I'm hoping the same thing about "lessening the stress" by having my room ready. I have tons of stuff to laminate, got up there and did a few things, then ran out of film. The principal said it won't be replaced for another week so I'll have to wait on that. I'm like you... I've got paper files and computer files for days... I have also found a lot of interesting activities for the first week of school (we won't start rotations til after that) so I will have to keep them busy. I am planning to spend most of it drilling the "rules and procedures" and then reinforce that with a jeopardy powerpoint but I haven't made it yet. I know that no matter what I will feel overwhelmed no matter what, but hopefully all of our preparation will pay off for us! Good luck!

3. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Hi Saved One! I'm also in El Dorado... who knows we may even run into each other during inservice! Are you from El Dorado? I graduated from El Do (quite a long time ago~haha!) and my daughter did last year.

4. SavedOne

SavedOne Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

No.. I'm transplant! I met some wonderful people from there at church camp... And they thought I needed to move and get a job teaching there... And within a week it happened! I'm goin to be living in Landmark Apt's. What day are you supposed to report? My contract says the 6th, but I'm just not sure... Im real nervous and scared and everything in between!

5. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Saved One... my husband and I lived in the landmark apartments while we were building our house a few years ago~small world. One of the third grade teachers that I'll be working with lives there now but will be moving to some new apartments in september when they are finished. My first day is actually July 29th, I have D.I. (reading program) new teacher training on the 29th and 30th, then on the 31st and 1st we are going to see a speaker, Larry Bell. I believe that my contract begins on the 7th. 7th grade is at Barton right? When I was in school Barton and Washington were both jr. high schools, but now Rogers is 5th and 6th and Barton is 7th and 8th. So I never went to Barton but my daughter did. I am also nervous but have the advantage of having lived here and actually worked in the business office for the school district awhile ago (long ago!). I'm sure that you will be fine and hopefully will meet some of your coworkers during inservice that will help you out. What church do you go to?

6. kimberly121

kimberly121 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

High school English
    Central California
    8/13/08

My offer came on Friday. Terrified, nervous, excited, thrilled... not sure where to start though! I'm still in the credential program too. It's going to be a crazy year. :)

7. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I am in NC. Piedmont region. We start school August 25 workdays start August 18. I will be fifth grade.

8. ABL

ABL Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Hi Everyone!

I will be new teacher in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Jose). School starts the 26th of August but workdays start the 18th. I'm really excited but definitely nervous. Right now I'm reading about designing your classroom library :)

9. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Kimberly, congratulations on your new job! I too am in the credential program here in California. I taught last semester (intern contract also) for the first time. What grade are you teaching? I teach 9th grade English. I am sure we will be able to swap some great stories! :)

10. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Hi Everyone,
    I am going through alternative certification and I have not taken a job yet teaching 1st grade about an hour away from my house. I am trying to find one closer to home. Please keep me in your prayers.

Kat, where in Southern Louisiana will you be teaching?

11. kimberly121

kimberly121 Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Thank you! I'll be teaching freshman and seniors. I'm sure I'll have some stories to share soon. :)

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

I'll post to this officially once I have more information and have had my background check (because they won't bother with that unless they're going to hand me a contract to sign). However, it's tentatively 11th and 12th grade Title I.

13. ginasparkles

ginasparkles Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

1st grade teacher

Hi!!

I am a first year teacher in Mississippi. I will be teaching first grade.

14. ~~Brandi~~

~~Brandi~~ New Member

Jul 14, 2008

Hi!

I'm a first-year teacher in Mississippi. I will be teaching 6th, 7th and 8th grade math. I'm working towards my alternate certification (my degree is in Business Administration). I was hired last week and I'm so excited but also extremely nervous. District teachers report August 1 and school starts August 7th.

15. beachteacher

beachteacher New Member

Jul 15, 2008

3rd Grade
    South Carolina
    We start school Aug 25

16. ITeachSATX

ITeachSATX Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Byron Steele HS
    Cibolo, TX (near San Antonio)
    ALE/Life Skills
    Aug. 25th

17. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

6th - 8th grade Spec. Ed (RSP)
    Southern California
    Traditional

My second interview was today, tonight the prinicpal e-mailed me that I was the panels top pick, they will be checking my references and getting back to me by the end of the week.

It will be an interning position and I've just entered the credential program. It will be a crazy year!!!

18. Lizzy

Lizzy New Member

Jul 16, 2008

Hi,

I'm very excited about starting my first teaching position as a fourth grade teacher; however, I'm very nervous as well!!

August 28th is the first day for the students.

I'm looking forward to talking with you and anyone else who is just starting their first year.

19. SavedOne

SavedOne Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Hey there
    I'm gonna be attending 1st Assembly of God off of Hillsboro. Yah.. I'm 7th grade.. I've got to figure out when I'm supposed to be there.. I don't have keys or anything yet... I feel bad because I haven't moved yet.. but my apt isn't ready!

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 17, 2008

9th grade Biology
    11th/12th grade Anatomy/Physiology
    Roswell, Ga (suburb of ATL)
    Kids start Aug.11
    I report to new teacher orientation Aug.1

So freaked out!!!

21. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

I've visited First Assembly before when brother Ronnie was there and really enjoyed it, it's a beautiful church. I got a letter today from the district stating that new teacher orientation would be August the 6, 7, and 8th, from 8-3. Maybe I'll see you there!

22. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 18, 2008

6th grade Math and Social Studies
    NH
    I report the last week of Aug
    Kids Sept 2 I think :)

23. SavedOne

SavedOne Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

KDD-
    I'm really excited about going there! I haven't heard thier preacher, Brother Scott yet, only been there for youth services. I to got my orientation letter! I'm not half as nervous anymore! But yes, we should definately get together!!!! I'm still tryin to figure out all the insurance things, like what I should take out.. And I have no idea how to decorate.. lol I'm an emotional mess!

24. coffee crazy

coffee crazy Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

Just the coolest idea ever!!

Thank you for this great idea!!! I can't wait to share this when I get my own class.:2up:

CC:thanks:

25. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Hi Kimberely121 ~

I know exactly how you feel. It's nice to know we're not the only ones feeling nervous, scared, excited, and everything in between. Good luck to you.

26. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

Been approved

Well, it's almost official. I was approved at the board meeting last week, got called by a school board member Friday, and my contract/other info showed up in the mail this weekend. Just have to sign it and take it in.

I am the proud first year teacher of a 5/6 combo class in rural Wisconsin. First in-service day is August 26 (no separate in-service for new teachers :(). Kids start Sept. 2nd.

27. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

YAY!!!!!! You'll do fine!!!

28. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

3rd Grade
    Northern Manitoba (moving from Nova Scotia)
    Kids start Sept. 3rd, I report by Aug. 25th