Attention first year teachers this fall

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade math in Colorado. New teacher orientation starts August 11th and students start a week later. I'm trying not to freak out, but it's hard. Since I'm moving from New York, though, I also have that to worry about and hopefully keep me from stressing out about being a new teacher so much.

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2008

Jessica-when are you moving?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

STG, I'll probably be moving right around the beginning of August. I have to get an apartment, hopefully soon, I looked a little bit when I was when the area last week and my principal told me where the better places to live would be and I'm waiting for the place where I would like to live to call back; they're supposed to have some openings, so it should work out. Luckily I don't have too much to move, getting a trailer should be enough and then I'll have to but furniture when I get out there. I'm excited about moving, but nervous, too, I've never lived anywhere else.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2008

How exciting!

5. rlss

rlss Rookie

Jun 23, 2008

I teach 7th grade Science in a somewhat urban district in NJ. We'll be starting back the first week of Sept. and follow a tradtional schedule.

6. RoCoco

RoCoco Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

No no, see I DON'T have a real teaching job. Yet. I have been keeping my cell phone next to me 24 hours a day. It's really upsetting when I jump to get it, and it's just my mother. I love the special ed kids, I did part of my practicum with them. The new terminology is a bit different, but I really liked them. Alright, special ed it is. In the event I get this job, if not I guess it's back to the graphic design job. *sigh*

7. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jun 27, 2008

I'll be teaching High School Latin, in NJ, near Philadelphia. I believe we start September 4th.

8. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

1st grade
    Houston, TX
    August 25

Would love to connect with others! I'm sooo excited!!! :D

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2008

Hey there -- I live practically downtown Houston but will be teaching in La Porte. We start August 26th. Keep in touch!

10. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

3rd grade departmentalized (Reading, Science, Social Studies)
    Southern Arkansas
    I start inservice July 29th, students start August 19th
    We are a traditional school

Great to meet everyone... just a little background info... I've wanted to teach since I was in kinder, I finally fulfilled the dream at the young age of 37!!! HAHA!!!

11. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 28, 2008

I want to join

I love this thread. I'll be joining....WHEN I get the call that I have a job (staying optimistic) :). If so, I'm elementary ed...and in central WI.

12. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

KDD where are you in southern Arkansas??? I'm a new third grade teacher and I'm teaching in Hope AR!!! We should totally get together and as for being 37 better late than never I say!!!

13. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

Awesome! I'll actually be in Pearland. We'll definitely keep in touch!!! :up:

14. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I have to update my info:
    1st Grade
    NY
    September 2nd :)

15. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

Yeah! I can add my post--was offered the job last week.

High school math (I don't know specific grade/class yet, but I imagine it will be freshman Algebra)
    Southern California, High Desert area
    Students start August 11, new teacher orientation July 27, 28, 29 (I think).

I've been subbing for the past year, so I'm used to being in the classroom, but I'm still a little nervous...

16. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

Hey! I am wondering if you are working at my school...also High Desert area, Southern California...starting Aug. 11 with new teacher training same days!! (there are 2 high schools though)

I taught last semester (freshman English) - first time teacher here too. Therefore I will be attending the same training. :) PM me if you want and we can compare notes! CONGRATULATIONS!! I absolutely love the school and the district!!!

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

Make your room healthy.

Move the student’s wastebasket away from your desk. Keep a small one under your desk for you to use.

Crack a window a tiny bit for fresh air.

Plants are wonderful. Philodendron, Spider Plants and Wondering Jew are easy to grow. There are plants that were tested by NASSAU for their ability to filter and clean indoor air of pollutants such as cigarette smoke and chemicals from off-gassing of new carpeting and furniture, as well as others. Ferns, peace plant, spider plant, mother-in-law's tongue (snake plant), corn plant, etc, are just a few.

Wash your hands often. Use anti-bacterial wipes or spray on the door knobs and wipe down student's desk everyday. Be sure and wipe their pencils. Put a bit of spray on their desk and give them a paper towel and let them clean before leaving each day.

Never use student’s pencils. Don't let students use your pencils or scissors.

Teach them to cough in their elbows, not on their hands.

Spray the room with Lysol.

Drink orange juice and green tea.

Get a flu shot.

Keep tissue box away from your desk. Never use tissue from the box that the students use.

GERMS--- sneeze and cough and about spreading germs. (Of course this is done in August when it's still hot!) I hold a misting bottle in my hand (they think I am taking care of the critters or plants) and start talking to them, suddenly I start sneezing and coughing. I squirt the misting bottle in the air as I do. I am walking around the room so I tag 'em all! I ask them what I should have done and of course they all yell "cover your mouth". So I "sneeze" and "cough" using the bottle in my hand. My hand gets soaking wet. I then walk around the room shaking hands, touching shoulders, pencils, desks, etc. They realize how far my "germs" spread. It leads to a really good discussion on how to prevent spreading germs.
    GERMS-----Have the kids divide into three equal groups. Have one kid from each group come up and spray their hand with water then dip it into a bag of glitter. Have each of the three volunteers dip in three different colors. Then they go back to their group and shake hands with everyone in their group. Once you have done that have the kids inspect their own hands for "germs". Then coat the volunteers hand again and let all of the kids shake with kids from the other groups. You could give a limit of shaking with 7 kids or something. When they are done they should have a fairly good dose of "germs" on their hand. You can then go over proper hand washing techniques while they wash the "germs" away.

"Immunity diet". It consists of dairy products like yogurt and cottage cheese (for the whey protein), lots of tomatoes (and substitute tomato soup for chicken noodle when you're sick), www.womenshealthmag.com if you're interested.

DO NOT touch your eyes and/or nose

18. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 6, 2008

High school social studies in Massachusetts!
    New teacher orientation starts August 20th (traditional schedule)

19. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I am teaching in the South, FL area and teaching 6th grade language arts. My new teacher orientation starts July 23rd, teachers report August 8th, and school starts August 18th. I have been reading and dreaming a lot about the 1st day of school. What are some consequences for misbehavior?

I have:
    Remind student of appropriate behavior aside from the students or after/before class
    Change students seat
    Call parent
    Referral to AP

Can I give an extra assignment? I am not sure if that is acceptable.

I am so excited about this year-although it will be so challenging.

20. RoCoco

RoCoco Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

Congratulations everyone! I finally received my phone call and will be teaching visual art at a middle school. I'm relieved and nervous, though I have been teaching an outreach program for the past two years to many students in the area. It will still be a new setting.

I am still waiting to fill out the final paperwork and am unsure when orientation starts, though I know professional development begins August 22 - 25.

Lindsay Lou, what district are you in?

21. mickeyln

mickeyln New Member

Jul 7, 2008

5th grade teacher
    Northern NJ
    Charter school

I report August 25, the kids start Sept. 2

22. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 8, 2008

2nd grade
    South Carolina
    School starts Aug 18th

I am the only first year teacher at this school so I am very nervous and scared!

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 8, 2008

I'll be teaching 2nd/3rd grade in the SF Bay Area. Jem, I'm going to PM you!

I'm meeting today with my next-door teacher to talk about how to set up classroom jobs, what field trips are recommended, the Baylands unit, and other things I feel clueless about!

I have orientations and trainings the week of August 18; School starts August 26.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

I'm the only first year teacher at my school, too. It's only July though, so maybe by the time school starts other new teachers will be hired. I know my principal just hired a 4th grade teacher, and I'm hoping they're new :)

25. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I'm set to teach 7th, 8th, and 12th grade math this next school year. I'm in south Alabama. We'll be following a traditional schedule starting August 4th.

This is a really nice idea, guys!

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Wow that's a big grade spread, Zarathi! I'm also new, but I'll just be teaching the 7th and 8th grade math and I'm very excited and nervous!

27. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I have 3 7th grade classes, 2 8th grade classes, then a 12th grade class of Algebraic Connections (ie: How to pass the graduation exam)

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

That sounds like a nice variety of classes; I have never heard of an Algebra Connections class before, but from the title it sounds interesting. I'll have two sections of 7th grade math and one section of 8th grade math, but each section is about an hour and a half.

29. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I'm in El Dorado... not too far from Hope! You're right about the better late than never thing and I also did a LOT better in college when it was my pocket instead of mom and dad's! :D

30. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Kindergarten
    Southern Louisiana
    School starts August 14th.

I love this thread! I just got my first teaching position ever on Monday! I'm still living in Texas and haven't gotten an apartment yet (I'm going down this weekend.) So these next few weeks are going to be insane but I am SO excited!

31. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

KDD we should totally get together...I have afriend that teaches second grade I think at Eldo...small world.

32. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2008

Kat, do you know anyone where you are moving? I'm moving in a few weeks and I'm starting to get extremely nervous, but still excited!

33. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Kindergarten
    Virginia
    School begins Sept. 2nd for the kiddos, I report Aug. 19th

Soo excited for the school year and having this forum as support!! :)

34. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Congrats BusyBee!

Jessica, first of all I LOVE your avatar! It makes me smile everytime I see one of your posts. The office is so brilliant! I don't really know anyone where I'm moving. My mom lives 2 1/2 hours away and my brother lives 1 hour away but thats it. I'm kinda excited to move somewhere totally new, where nobody knows me. Its like a clean slate! But it's easy to say now. I know when I drive off and leave all my friends I'll cry like a baby! Have you found a place to live yet? I'm driving down this weekend to hopefully find an apartment.

35. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2008

Kat--Thanks! The Office is absolutely my favorite show; did you watch the webisode yet I thought that it was really funny. I don't anyone where I am moving either, but that is the first question everyone asks me when I tell them I am moving to Colorado, "do you know anyone out there?" I think it will be great once I get out there and used to everything, but it will be hard to leave everyone. I do have an apartment all lined up, but I'll have to get furniture when I move out there. In a way I think having such a big move is a good thing, because it keeps from being so nervous about being a first year teacher. I hope you find an apartment this weekend!

P.S. Congratulations BusyBee on your new job!

36. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks. :) Congratulations to yall too! I have been trying to enjoy my summer, but I find myself on here searching for classroom ideas and lesson plans. Ah!! :D

37. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Hi everyone! I hopefully will be teaching in a 3rd grade bilingual class in september- waiting for the board meeting on monday for it to pass then I will know for sure! But until then I'll be in Long Island NY Elementary. Hopefully theres people around this area! :)

38. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

bobcatkristi (I'm assuming that your name is Kristi same as mine but I spell it Kristie) What is your friends name or what school is she at? I may know her, it's a small town and I've lived her practically my whole life. I wanted to teach 2nd myself, I did a whole semester of student teaching there ( also 9wks in 1st and 9wks in 3rd) because there is not as much pressure from testing, but I like 3rd because we are departmentalized.

39. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Busy Bee... how can we keep from it~! I've been doing the same searching for lessons and printing out activities. I've actually been in my room for 3 days so far working on stuff! Of course for us "new teachers" there is a lot of extra to get done and we are pretty much starting from scratch. I can't help it... my mind is going 90 to nothing and sometimes I can't even fall asleep at night. I'm sure that all will change when school starts and I'll wish that I had these summer days back to relax and sleep!!! haha!

40. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Oh my goodness! We are in the same boat - All the way. I am printing off stuff like crazy, making file folder games, thinking of lessons, hahaaa. I wish I could get into my classroom to start organizing and decorating it (and to start laminating stuff, before the other teachers get back)! But I probably won't be allowed in until the first week of August or so, because they are doing some remodeling to my room (adding a sink). Shoot! But once I get the "ok" to go.. I will be there from 8am-5pm everyday... Haha. I just to make sure everything is ready to go on the first day, because it will lessen my stress!! :) :) :lol: