Attention All Shopoholics!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2008

Let's start a thread discussing anything & everything about shopping! I know there are plenty of shopolholics out there! I'll get us started w/ some thoughts:

What places do you like to shop?
    Where do you think are the best places to shop (in the country or in the world?)
    What things do you like shopping for the most/least?
    What's the larget amount you've ever spent at one time?
    What type of shopper are you? (go in/out quick & get what you need, the type who could spend all day browsing/buying, etc.)
    What's the farthest place you've ever travelled to do some good shopping?
    Your favorite brands of clothes, shoes, handbags, etc.?
    Who do you usually shop w/ or do you go solo?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2008

I love shopping! There's three pretty good malls close to me, then there's a really nice one a little further away that I go to about 4-5 times/yr.
    Every several mos, I like going to these other two really great malls (w/ more unique stores) that are a 1-2 hrs drives away.

I love shopping for it all: Clothes, shoes, bags, jewlery, watches, makeup. I'm a true girly-girl...no tomboy here!

I could easily spend 1/2 the day or longer at a nice mall.

Favorite stores/brands: Nordstrom, Banana Republic, Bebe, Arden B, Bloomingdale's, Macy's, MAC makeup, Francesco Biasia (handbags), BCBG.

I don't own a Coach bag yet, but I plan to have it eventually!

My style is modern, contemporary, colorful, but I like wearing all black too. I love silver jewelry.

Favorite Places to Shop:
    Brea Mall in Brea, CA
    Beverly Center in Beverly Hills, CA
    Santa Monica Place in CA
    Glendale Galleria in CA
    Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA
    Fashion Valley in San Diego, CA
    Aventura Mall in Aventura, FL
    Perimeter Mall in Atlanta, GA

I'd love to return to NY & Hawaii because I didn't get to do as much shoppig there as I'd like to! I'd even go to Minnesota, just to shop at the Mall of America, because I love to travel & shop!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

Not a shopoholic here, but I don't mind going. I loved Hawaii's International Market Place, really like Mall of America, but super busy when we went...someday we'll get back there. I liked the mall in Houston the Galleria (come on TX people help me out) the one with the skating in it.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2008

Shopping & travelling are my favorite things to do! I love the nice, large upscale shopping malls that have mostly high-end stores, yet still have a bit of everything.
    In my book, if the mall has a Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's or at least one other high-end department store, it's usually a great mall. Who can list some great malls in other states?

Hawaii used to have this nice department store called Liberty House, but I think they've been closed for yrs.

6. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

Not a shopper here! I only go to the store if I need something. I'll go to only that store, get what I need and then leave and I can never, ever shop with a friend!!!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2008

I have no problem shopping alone, but it's nice that my long-time boyfriend is a great person to go shopping with. You'll never see him waiting outside the store bored to tears while he's waiting for me. We've never even gone to different stores at the same time. We go where the other goes. He never really buys one thing for himself, but he loves going with me!

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

Ah...that's a nice bfriend...
    My hubby is the shopper I'll shop while he's shopping!!! I like shopping with somebody & for other people. I hate having to take everything offf, try on, put all my stuff back on. Not that big of a deal in the summer in the winter...UGH!!!

9. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2008

I shop like hunting...

I go into a store, and find my prey.
    I stalk it for a while (look it up online, try and find better prices, visit the store on markdown day)...
    Then there's the fight- it's marked down 40%...do I go for the kill now, or do I hold out for 60% and risk loosing it...

And then I buy it and feel guilty for the next 3 weeks that I spent too much.

I bought some great slacks at Goodwill for $4 last weekend. I can never find slacks that fit. And I feel guilty because then I got a coupon for Goodwill in the mail- $10 off, so they could have been free!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

You sound like my hubby...or he first checks out the stores online & then "shops" around online for the best price!!! I love the analogy of hunting...never thought of it that way!!!:lol::eek::2up:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2008

Love this thread, MsI!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2008

DizneeTeachR, the only Galleria I know w/ skating in it is the Galleria in Dallas.

13. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

You mentioned wanting a Coach bag....I had always wanted one too! This Christmas, a student's family actually gave me one for a Christmas present! What a gift!!!

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2008

My favorite stores are Macy's, Lane Bryant, Joanns/Michaels/AC Moore, Williams and Sonoma, Kitchen and Co.

I think Delaware is the best place to shop - no tax!

clothes are my favorite to shop for. Then kitchen stuff, craft stuff, stuff for my house, and gifts for other people.

I've spent several hundred at a time at Christmas or for some furniture - never too much more than that. No expensive tvs or furniture or anything.

I vary in my type of shopping - if I have something I need, I am on a mission. I want to get it and go. But I also love to just casually shop too.

I don't go too far to shop. Rehoboth Beach, Lancaster, or King of Prussia, all about an hour and a half from me.

I don't do expensive brands, esp. with purses. I am a little more thrifty.

I like to shop alone.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2008

This month, my bf and I gave up shopping. It's just about killed me! I did spend about $14 because I needed pants for my practicum.

Saturday, I was at the used bookstore with my friend. I gave her $12 of my credit. Then, at the mall, I found a purse I looooved marked down from $40 to $10. So my friend bought it for me, since I'd given her my store credit earlier, so I told my bf I hadn't spent any money ;)

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

I think I'm the only female who hates Coach bags... I just don't get the hype.

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 29, 2008

Love Coach purses! The most I've paid is $500 but i saved up for a really long time. I'm definately a purse person- I will buy shoes from target or payless but I do like designer purses.

18. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 29, 2008

I LOVE Macy's, Kohl's, Sephora, and Target. I love Kohl's for home stuff. I always feel like I'm getting a deal.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2008

cosmoteach, what a gift to give one's teacher! They must really love you!

I'm not the type who HAS to have a Coach bag. I just think it would be nice to have one. There's only a few styles out of the whole collection I like. If I finally have the extra money for one, maybe I'll get one, maybe not. I'd rather have clothing or shoes rather than a bag.

I also love the beauty store Sephora, but the employees stink. They have this snobby air about them & I've been to many different store locations. I love Target too, but not for clothing.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 29, 2008

What places do you like to shop? Kohls, DSW, Lakeshore/teacher stores Old Town Spring - it is set up like a town square with all kinds of great stores mostly for women and some great tea rooms. There is also a yummy place that sells ready to cook casseroles to pick up on your way home!
    What things do you like shopping for the most/least? Most - Shoes and purses Least - JEANS
    What's the largest amount you've ever spent at one time? A LOT - nuff said!
    What type of shopper are you? all day shopper for sure. I have a friend I meet periodically at a huge shopping center and we meet early, shop til lunch and then til dinner - this really works in the fall when our husbands go hunting and leave us home alone :2up:
    What's the farthest place you've ever travelled to do some good shopping? To the huge outlet malls about 2 1/2 hours away
    Your favorite brands of clothes, shoes, handbags, etc.? I have no loyalties really
    Who do you usually shop w/ or do you go solo? Depends, prefer to shop with someone but my shopping buddies don't live close enough for regular trips

21. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 29, 2008

I do get intimidated by some of the people that work at Sephora. However, at my local Sephora I try to go in when my favorite person is working and track her down for help. She's very nice.

Clothing at Target can be hit or miss for me. I'm excited to see all their spring/summer stuff. I really only buy shirts and skirts from Target.

If you are looking into a Coach I recommend going to the outlets. We have one by me. They were having a great sale a couple weeks ago (25%-40% off).

BTW, my favorite brand of jeans are DKNY. I don't know what I did before I found them. I don't like paying $60 for jeans but you can't pass up a good pair of jeans.

22. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jan 29, 2008

Guilty!

:up:
    Hubby-now, Mom-before, and sometimes alone(books)....varies!
    Thanks for this thread I was about to cry-Mom's B-day is tomorrow, I NEEDED this!
    :)

23. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jan 29, 2008

Places to shop

I love the Glendale Galleria! In Sacramento-Arden Fair Mall is the best.
    Outlet Mall-Gilory and Vacaville are tied!
    Out here in Ga, I have not started yet...I enjoy the mall near me but it is very small. I am saving to visit the Outlets in the area and I am not sure about the drive into the city for the malls....we shall see, I am sure I will get there.
    I dream of visiting New York to shop...or just look-gawk (sp ?).
    I see you recommended a Mall out here, maybe I will try that one.

24. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2008

I'm also a bulk shopper. I find something that I like and buy 5. ;) Except right now I'm sad, because I look in the closet, and I really only have 4 shirts, but the bar is overflowing...Do I want to wear the green, or the pink, or the purple, or the darker green...

I loooove Express, their clothes actually fit me. I'm average sized everywhere, except the rear end! It's gigantic! Most jeans gap or look silly. Express pants actually fit!

I'm starting my practicum tomorrow, and I went and bought pants 2 sizes too big. Nice pants seem to magnify my butt, and I'm never comfortable with that in the classroom- especially since I'll be in preK, and down on the floor all the time. But my bf laughs at me in my too big pants, because he doesn't see why I'm hiding...:(

25. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jan 30, 2008

I love shopping. I live in a very small town that only has a family owned market so I have to make trips down to Phx to shop for real. I am a bargain shopper though. I love the clearance racks at: Macy's, Dillards, Kohls, and New York & Company.
    While I like Coach purses, I would never buy myself one. Now if somebody else wanted to, that would be another story. ;-) I prefer to spend my money on my shoes. I LOVE heels (I'm only 5'4") so that's where I spend the bulk of my money. I buy expensive, comfortable clothes so I can look nice all day without sacrificing my feet. :)

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 30, 2008

I really need a whole room w/ wall to wall closet space! I have a closet in my bedroom that takes up one wall. Then in another room, I have a walk-in closet.

The chore I absolutely HATE the most is ironing. It's a good thing I haven't had to do it in 10+ yrs, maybe longer. With my washable clothes, I take them out of the dryer & hang them up quickly to avoid wrinkling. Everything else, I take to the cleaners.

I have so many clothes, I can easily not wear the same thing for months. I have about 40-50 pairs of shoes.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2008

I must be dog-crazy today! I'm posting a lot about things that have to do w/ dogs.

I don't forget about my furry friend. I spoil my dog. (You can probably guess that I don't have kids yet!) He has his own car seat, so when he rides w/ me in the car, he can sit up high & look out the window since he's only 15 pounds.

I wish I had gotten him used to wearing clothes. He'll wear clothes, but he's not that comfortabl in them. They probably feel too constricting on him.

28. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 3, 2008

As I have gotten older, I am not the shopper I used to be. Back in the day (ha) I would walk thru the mall for hours--now it just seems like a waste of my time and would rather be doing something else. And I am also getting crochety--we have some teachers who complain all of the time that they are broke, no money whatsoever, yet come in excited about the $400.00 Coach purse they bought. BUT I do like to shop at Joanne's and Michael's for crafty stuff!

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 3, 2008

I love buying sale items. A good sale is better than sex.

30. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Feb 3, 2008

:lol:

Well I'm not much of a shopper, but I LOVE American Eagle. It has clothes that actually fit and are super comfortable. I can even sneak some of my AE clothes into school by dressing them up with slacks and such. I also LOVE Express, but for some reason nothing there ever fits me right. Everything is always way too big/long (I'm 5 feet tall so I guess that might be why)

Speaking of shopping, am I the only one who gets nauseous if I stay in the mall for too long? I call it getting "mall sickness" (my hubby thinks I'm crazy), but I seriously get sick to my stomach and all tingly and a huge headache when I shop for too long.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 4, 2008

Jeky, there's a possible reason you get "mall sickness" after being in a mall for too long. Have you heard or read that stores & other shopping places actually dispense a certain scent that influences our brain/mind to want to buy more. It's true.

It's like those psychology studies you read about similar to painting walls of your house a certain color to promote certain feelings. For example, blue is calming & relaxing, yellow or orange makes you feel energized, etc., etc. Well, scents do the same thing. One more thing to add, they say pumpkin scents have a kind of aphrodisiatic effect on males.