Attendance

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by tiredteacher, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tiredteacher

tiredteacher Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

I am looking for creative ways to motivate 8th graders to improve their attendance. Right now I am drawing two names for a small prize. If your name is drawn and you are here you can get the gift. Does anyone have any other suggestions to either change this or improve anything.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2009

Is it always the same students? Are the ditching or just not making it to school?

If they are ditching class regularly, I'd give the Dean a log of their absences and let him give them some "encouragement". If they are not making it to school at all - I'd speak to their counselor.

4. lsho

lsho Rookie

Dec 5, 2009

I agree with above. If it is the same few students, its hard to motivate them. I have a couple students who are consistently truant. They are now involved in the juvenile system for truancy court.

If its everyone (well, a lot of them) and they have that middle school senioritis, add an attendance grade to their points. If you are there every day each week, you get 10 points. The top 5 at the end of the year get a pizza party at lunch or something like that.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

I also agree. I don' think this is a classroom issue, I see it as an administrative one.

Plus, given the current flu issues, I think I would be careful to emphasize that if you're sick, you really should stay home. I hate when the "perfect attendance award" kids come to school sick and infect the rest of the school.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 5, 2009

Honestly, I don't have a problem with attendance, as long as the kids makeup their work. My kids have three get out of jail free cards per trimester. This way they don't have to skip school when they had 3 tests on one day an couldn't study for them all. At least they won't have to take mine. Or they don't have to skip school when their major paper was due. They just turn in the card and they get a 1 day extension and they get to make-up the test/quiz within 2 school days.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 5, 2009

Grades should reflect master of content, not whether or not they care to show up. I think the penalty of missing class is already there, they are missing valuable instruction.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

I agree with Brendan.

I would have a problem with penalizing-- or not rewarding-- a kid who got sick or whose grandparent died.

9. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 6, 2009

I agree with Alice and Brendan. However, I know that I've gotten some "repeat offenders" over the years--those that are absent every time a major assignment's due, every time a test is given, etc.

I allow one retest per quarter. I tell kids that if they miss a test, then they can make it up when they get back. But, if they miss a second test during the same quarter, they must wait till the end of the quarter and it acts as their "retest." Of course, I have certain exceptions, but not many. I only give 4 exams per quarter so there's really no reason to miss them. (Field trips, death, etc. are some of the mentioned exceptions.)

Taking away the retest option works wonders with honors kids; they will do anything to keep their grade up (thus why they will be absent and hear from a friends what's on the test before they take it).

I understand that some kids are just sick. But I don't see how the "24-hour" flu can hit on the same day as a test twice. Extended absences are a different story.