Attendance/Student Check-in Procedure

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by emmakate218, Jun 9, 2008.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

Hey y'all. I was just wondering what are some of y'all's procedures for attendance/student check-in? I know that I will have each child's name and headshot on some type of moveable piece to where they can move their piece to show that they are present. Any cute ideas?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2008

Do you have a theme for your room?

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

I use tongue depressors with their names on them, and our kindergarten teacher uses them with their pictures on them. She put magnetic strips on the back and places them on a filing cabinet. The children move them when they come in

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 10, 2008

Hi: I also teach public pre-k in Texas, I'm in the DFW area. For attendance I have each student's name printed out on on cardstock and laminated- it looks just like sentence strips only names are computer typing, I have a font that does this- it looks much better than my horrible handwriting :p I lay the name cards out on the table each morning as they arrive and they have to find their name and place it in their "pocket". The pockets are library pockets glued to a large sheet of posterboard and laminated, then each pocket is slit open w/exacto knife. Each pocket has the child's picture and name glued to the front before laminating (I use sticky labels for this). This system works really well for me. If you have a "theme" you could use decorative pockets or decorate your posterboard or name cards with stickers to match the theme. I used to use a regular pocket chart for them to place their name cards but it was very disorganized and they would always place thier names on top of each others etc. I would post a pic of my chart but every time I try here at atoz it doesn't work out so well :(
    good luck!

6. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 10, 2008

Attendance Procedure

My kids have lunch cards with their picture and have to pick their lunch. In order to get charged. So, I have a small student desk by the door with icing containers labeled: Buying lunch (clip art with a tray), Brought lunch (clip art with lunch box). They put their card in the container. My last school didn't have cards, so I just had their name on a large popsicle stick (you could add the picture mentioned earlier) and they put it in the cup and then I had to turn in lunch count.

7. KinBama

KinBama Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

I also take combine attendance and lunch count. I have a pocket chart with all of the kids names on cardstock at the bottom of the pocket chart and as they come in, they move their name from the bottom to the top under of the lunch choices. Works very well! :)

8. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 14, 2008

I use a two column graphing pocket chart for attendance. Above one column I have a picture of a house and above the other a picture of school. If the kids forget to move their card I simply ask whether or not they came to school today. I write the kids information on note cards. As the year goes on I swap the cards out so they can learn different personal info. I start with first name, then last name, phone number, and last address.

9. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

I have a bear/bee theme in my room and the kids will move their bee on their flower when they come into the classroom in the morning. This will also help in identifying their name by having to match the bee to the flower.

10. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jun 19, 2008

Mine takes up two pocket charts, but worked so well this year I am keeping it. I start the year with first names (move to last names third nine weeks) and they take their name from the apple pocket chart to a yellow one and answer the question of the day (to make a graph). We use this during circle time and count each side (often yes/no or boy/girl), find those numbers on the number line, practice counting on to get ready for adding, more/less, etc. The apple chart tells me immediately who isn't there, and the yellow chart is used for a lesson. The students do this immediately upon entering the room. :)