Attaching Deskplates

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

I can't afford "real" deskplates right now, so I've decided to use cut-up sentence strips to use instead. I have 5th grade, so it's not like they need to see their name in print all year or anything; basically they'll be staying on their desks for a week or two until they learn their "spot." I have two questions:

• What's the best way to attach them? Will clear packing tape work?
    • Do you think taping sentence strips to the desk will look awful on Open House? I don't want to look cheap or sloppy :unsure:

I might print some up on Word and print them on cardstock.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2008

Dollar Tree usually has nameplates. I bought mine there last year (this year's came from a $1 Scholastic sale). But, I don't think sentence strips are tacky. I would do color if possible, though.

I use contact paper, but that is pretty expensive- about $6-7 a roll, if I remember correctly.
    While subbing, I have seen many teachers laminate their nameplates and put magnets on them. They stuck them to the side of the desk. This may be more useful to you because they are not self contained.
    Clear tape will work; it just usually takes more than 1 strip, which is why I don't like it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2008

Oh, and I leave name tags on all year long. THEY know their names, but I change desks a lot and if someone is out or I am passing things out before/after school (or during planning), I know who is where.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 16, 2008

I usually get my desktags from Dollar Tree as well, unless I find a special one I just "have to" have ;) (like my Dr. Seuss ones). Anyway, I've found that the clear packing tape is the easiest thing for me. I leave them on for about 2 months and then put new ones on. That's about the time limit that they tend to last in our classrooms.
    Mine were taped on ready to go at open house. You can't really see the tape unless you look really closely.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

Tape it is, thanks :)

7. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I got some at the Target dollar bins last month. I use those for the first few weeks. Then I get better ones, to keep for the whole year. I usually use clear packing tape, but you always have those kids that pick pick pick pick the tape and it drives me nuts. Also, if you do need to pull them off, to change desks or whatever, the tape leaves a residue. I have also used velco in the past (on the really good stuff ones), but I had the same problem with the kids pulling them off and then I had to listen to the velcro sound. I will probably use contact paper this year, but I do like the magnet idea.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 16, 2008

You know, what really bugs me are the ones that play with the bubbles in the tape. To fix this I've taken a pair of scissors and just put a slit in the bubble. It takes the air out so there is no more bubble. I usually don't have a problem with residue (it could be to the type of desks I have), but basic cleaner takes it off if I find some.

9. nytwinbee

nytwinbee Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I ordered these from reallygoodstuff.com. It was a little pricey, $3.99 for 36, but it worked like a charm, they come off easily and did not leave any residue. They were still able to pick it, but not as much, it really helped, and I did not have to get the name plates laminated.

EZ Fit™ Name Plates Tape Strips
    Pre-Sized Tape Keeps Nameplates In Place!
    These tape strips combine a special adhesive to resist picky little fingers with a size that covers standard nameplates up to half an inch beyond the edges.
    36 tape strips, 10" by 4" each

10. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I put Velcro under mine so they can easily be moved. Of course, then you have to stick the Velcro to the table, but my kids LOVED peeling it off at the end of last year--it was something they weren't allowed to do all school year!

11. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 19, 2008

$3.99 must be a typo! When I went online they were much more than that! But seems like it might be worth it :)

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

I'm using contact paper this year. My co-workers used it last year and loved it.

13. annie41378

annie41378 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

if you can laminate them at school, that will keep them a little nicer. you can hot glue them to the desk, which will pop off if needed.

14. mixedup1

mixedup1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Even cheaper than the Really Good Stuff sleeves... I use refill pages from photo albums I have cut apart. I use brightly colored index cards to write my students names on. These are the perfect size. Then I tape around all of the sides. I have also used name plates cut in half.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

I bought the Dollar Tree ones and I tape them to the front of their desks so that I can memorize names quickly. Kids can still double check that they are at the correct desk but the temptation to pick at the tape is not an option.

16. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I used clear packing tape 2 years ago. They stayed on all year. But I am still trying to get some of the residue off. Its horrible. I've been doing contact paper but it peels off so easily.

17. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I actually do not use name plates at all. I use "Mean Streak" markers that I buy at Office Depot. They are like gooey, paint pens, in all different colors where you can write their names directly on the desk. It dries instantly. One pen is about 2$ and will last you all year. The kids then have a nice flat surface to write on and you don't have to worry about kids picking at the tape, etc. The kids can't even scratch it off with their fingernails. To remove the names, you just pour some "goof off" on the name tags and rub clean with a paper towel. Viola!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 20, 2008

That's cool. I'll look for some next time I'm there and see if our P will let us try it.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 20, 2008

I think you should leave them up all year long for subs. We subs do not know where your students sit. Its ok not to sit in assigned seats but the names help us so we don't have to call a student hey you in the blue shirt or you with the glasses. When I was in school I hated having someone say hey you.We all like to hear our names I mean I don't like hearing students say hey ms. I want to be called by my name so I write it on the board and everytime I hear a hey ms. I say my name is ---- and tell them my name.