At wits end...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by substitute_stev, Sep 19, 2022.

1. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Sep 19, 2022

I was a full time teacher in Florida for 3 years until I was laid off. No jobs, so I left.
    I moved to Ohio and have been a sub for 9 years. Ohio's teaching requirements to be a full time teacher is ridiculously strict and expensive. The ony way to be a teacher here is to plop down 25k and go to Ashland University. Teaching salaries dont justify the high price tag at my age of 55. Ive tried the alternative route - waste of time and money.
    Now im being offered a building substitute position. Ive done that 3 times already. Argh. Im at wits end.
    I enjoy teaching but ready to throw in the towel. If I cant be a full time teacher whats the point?
    I have a bachelors degree in social science, have a Florida license that wont transfer, I am expected to get another Bchelors degree in education plus license.
    Any ideas? Tired of being just a sub.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 20, 2022

I hate to say it but that sounds about right. You have to expect to have the required education and licenses to teach in certain states. Did you not research this before you moved to Ohio?

4. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Sep 21, 2022

No. It was a last minute issue. I did research requirements in Illinois though this year. There is a shortage for teachers there and I can take an alternative program there. However, if I move to Illinois it will probably be all wrong information. You cant trust anyones word or the internet. Plus the educational rules change all the time.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 21, 2022

I can see you are frustrated. My best advice is to call the Department of Education in Illinois and have a good book to read or something to do while you wait on hold. Then find out exactly what you need to do. I'd also compare this with the website. I have talked to the Department of Arizona's education department which I highly doubt is any better than Illinois's. While I have had to wait a long time on hold, I have always gotten the information I needed. There are lots of teaching jobs in lots of states. If you jump through the right hoops and market yourself well, you have a good chance of getting a teaching job.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 23, 2022 at 6:35 AM

It was annoying when I moved my license from Pennsylvania to Ohio 17 years ago, and it's probably gotten more complicated. What was your license in Florida? Did you take all the Praxis exams? I had to take the PLT, but also had the Praxis III back then before the RESA program was implemented.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:57 AM

Check out the McGregor School of Antioch University in Yellow Springs, OH, for certification.
    What grade level are you looking for? If it is an area in higher demand, some districts’s HR depts will talk with you and give you accurate information.
    ODE may not be fast, but they are your best source for up to date information.
    Also, I know some districts are having trouble finding reliable long-term subs; these positions can last up to a full year.
    Ohio does not require a BS in education. I had several degrees, none in education, and received my certification.