At wits end with writing own curriculum

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Sep 1, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 1, 2006

We are on our own with curriculum in our school and I am at wits end trying to piece everything together... and I'm only on week 4. Any suggestions on completed theme written curriculum for 4 year olds? I'm going nuts.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

Are you using themes? Apples, Bears, Transporation, etc etc ... Themes can last as short as a week or last up to a month or more. Integrate your art, letter work and centers to your theme. Develop routines and schedules so kids know what to expect. There are many websites dedicated to preK themes- Someone will list a link to Link Lady Lori......:D

4. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

There is a book Called Every Day in Every Way. This is a whole curr. in a book for preschool. It even comes with a resource book. I had a parent give it to me and it saved my life!

5. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 1, 2006

I am currently depending on websites and I have weekly themes. I want a book of some sort or a real curriculum or something beside all these printing sites. I'm site hopping and it's making me nuts. :)

I'll check out the book you mentioned Sheila.

Thanks!

6. Mama Chick

Mama Chick Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

Another good one is A Planning Guide for the Preschool Curriculum available through Kaplan.

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2006

Here is what I do, in a nutshell. First I pick a theme. In that theme I do these every day...art/sensory, social science/physical science, small motor, math/manipulative, and letters/reading readiness. I try to keep my theme in all the activities, but I don't always, especially if there is something I really want to do. The kids are paired up in groups and they rotate to each activity/center. Depending on what the activity is, we may do it as a group.

We also do Weekly Reader every week and Journals at least every other day. We also have our circle time in the morning that consists of the usual things. So, I do a theme-centered curriculum, but I also use learning centers to reinforce the theme during our activities and things that they should be learning to get prepared for K.

There is nothing wrong with using the internet for ideas. There are so many wonderful ideas out there. You just need a template to work from first. I personally don't like boxed curriculums because they are too "cookie cutter" and they don't challenge kids enough or they leave too many holes in their lessons.

Here are some websites I use:
    www.littlegiraffes.com
    www.preschooleducation.com
    www.hubbardcupboard.com
    www.everythingpreschool.com
    www.enchantedlearning.com
    www.123child.com
    www.abcschoolhouse.com
    www.alphabet-soup.net
    www.busyteacherscafe.com
    www.first-school.ws/
    www.preschoolrainbow.com
    www.handwritingforkids.com
    www.hummingbirded.com
    www.kellyskindergarten.com
    www.kidssoup.com
    www.kinderprintables.com
    www.kinderart.com
    www.kizclub.com
    www.prekfun.com
    www.kinderhive.com
    www.preschoolbystormie.com
    www.preschoollearners.com
    www.silkysteps.com
    www.storyplace.org
    www.theideabox.com
    www.learningpage.com

8. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

We use a few of the LHS GEMS guides that are Math/Science based- they tell you exactly what to do each day, what materials you need, etc. They can last anywhere from 2-4 weeks, and it's easy to incorporate your own literature/music/etc. We do Tree Homes; Eggs; Ladybugs; Buzz a Hive; and Penguins, which are their PEACHES guides, geared for preschool. They have a lot of others!
    http://www.lhs.berkeley.edu/gems/peaches.html

9. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 1, 2006

Hey, I know how you feel. I moved from 1st grade to pre-K 3 years ago. I was given nothing. Only $5000 to spend and nothing else to go by. Now this year they have thrown Virginia Learning Blocks for Social Studies and Science and a new reading program. Now I have to change everything. I use a lot of books like the Mailbox magazines, etc. and a lot of websites.

10. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 1, 2006

5000 wow... I wish I had that, I'd be set. I've been given 50 and I use that for my room decor or whatever I want. 50 dollars.... hmmm.... well, better than nothing!! Hope 'Ernesto' isn't getting you too hard Mrs. Oz, I'm in Richmond so it's just really, really rainy.

11. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 1, 2006

I hit the stores and couldn't find the books you guys mentioned but I found one called Creative Resources for the Early Childhood Classroom. It's really good and just what I was searching for. There was one other one that I liked a lot and it was $20 cheaper, but it didn't have the "Concepts Children Should Learn" area of each theme, which I love! If anyone else needs a good book, this is a good one and I appreciate your leads.

12. forkids

forkids Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

forkids

By all means check out the preschoolbystormie website. She has everything laid out by months and this could be your entire curriculum in itself. Good luck!

13. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 3, 2006

We never really got anything from the storm but thanks for asking. I received $5000 but by the time you buy all your furniture (excluding tables) it doesn't go very far. I am just taking one week at a time as I rewrite my curriculum. I am still using a lot of what I used the last 3 years but I have changed some of my beginning units to fit the reading program. We will see how it works out. Anyway, normally we get $200 a year Title I money to spend so I hope to buy some new things to fit my Science VA Learning Blocks.
    Hope the storm didn't get to you to much.