At what point does it happen?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2011

I LOVE Christmas. It's my favorite time of the year. I get such a charge out of the whole thing: the cards, the decorations, the carols, the palpable good cheer. And I love the anticipation

I want to talk about that anticipation.

As a kid, as is true with most kids, Christmas was all about ME. It was about what I wanted to find under that tree with "ALICE" written on the label.

Now, to be totally honest, I don't care what's there for me. Anything I want I can get myself. As much as I love the stuff Peter and the kids get me, it's no longer the part I anticipate ahead of time.

Now it's all about them.

And I wonder when in my life that happened. I didn't get married until I was 30, so I think it was before I was married. I remember searching out that perfect gift for family and friends long before I met Peter.

Maybe it was once I had a job, and knew that I could pay for anything I wanted. I can't remember the last time I hoped and prayed for one particular gift the way that little kids pray to see a bicycle. I started working at age 16,and made good money working in a restaurant. Maybe that was the turning point?

Anyway, that's the part of the Magic of Christmas for me. That for at least a few months, I'm really really excited at the thought that I can give those I love something I hope will surprise them and make them happy.

Because, of course, the gifts I'm most excited to give are the ones they won't see coming. For Brian,for example, it's not the $159 Xbox thing (that will hopefully be delivered today) that's the ONLY thing on his wishlist. It's a $16 book that I'm hoping will bring back happy memories of his toddlerhood. For Peter it's Lunch with an Imagineer at Disney, something I'm pretty sure he doesn't know even exists. For the moms it's a memory book.

These are the Magic of Christmas-- being able to think about the people in your life, and to come up with gifts that they don't even know they want.

Sorry for the rambling. It's 6 am on Christmas Eve, and the magic begins in a few short hours.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 24, 2011

Oh, Alice - the magic has already begun!

My kids are much older than yours, and I want to wake them up this morning (MY best gift - they both choose to be here for the holidays!) and give them their gifts. I happily got the things they texted me were on their lists, but then picked out a few unauthorized items I am sure they will love!

Enjoy!

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 24, 2011

The real magic behind Christmas is wanting to give and do for others rather than receive things for yourself. You can't buy that kind of happiness friends. It comes with maturity, compassion, and love. Merry Christmas to all my friends here. Find the magic and the true meaning of Christmas and love.

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 24, 2011

I have had a tough year health wise and I think that it has made me really reflect on the true meaning of the holidays. I am so incredibly lucky for my friends and family and want to express that. It's not about the gifts so much as just the time spent with these wonderful people.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 24, 2011

I agree, it's mainly about the kids & seeing their joy from all that has to do w/ the holiday. When I was a child, those were certainly fun times.

As an adult, I don't have kids yet, so it's still in a way about me. I never really have many people to buy gifts for except my parents & boyfriend. Sure, I donate toys, but yes, I do get myself a nice thing or two. The anticipation leading up to the special day though isn't there unless I was planning a trip or something around that time. I never have to worry about a huge dinner to prepare, but I make sure it's something good of course.

7. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011

I agree, I love the look on the little ones faces! Especially their grandpa dresses up as Santa--priceless! Even the fifteen year old is excited.

My parents still gave my sisters and I " Santa gifts" through college!

Oh, how I love the warm, fuzzy, feeling of Christmas Eve!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2011

I don't necessarily mean it's about the kids, though that's kind of where I am at the moment.

I mean that the anticipation that matters these days is about the excitement of seeing others open their gifts, not about what I'm getting. (It's just that, right now, most of those "others" in my life happen to be kids.)

9. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011

That's why I am so excited for my 1 yr old... he gets excited when you walk in a room, so I know he will light up!

I might have a hard time sleeping tonight! :)

10. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2011

I dont have kids and am currently single so I would say it changed for me when I was in my last few years of college. I really didnt need anything so getting gifts wasnt what I was really excited for on Christmas. Now like you said I really enjoy giving gifts even more and just spending time with family and friends.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 25, 2011

I know what you mean. I gave to a lot of people this year from neighbors to random people. I loved it! My favorite was a guard and a hospital worker that had just had a tough day.

As far as getting, my favorite was yen (coin with a hole in the center) on yarn to make a necklace. That's my 8 year old's heart purely shown. He put it in an origami basket (just learned how to make that).

It truly is about thoughtfulness. It's about surprises. It's about the magic. It's about the 6 weeks mother and son spent together lovingly making a gift for his friend. It's about family. It's about friends. It's about community. It's about simply being more aware of everyone around us and being thankful for all we have.

It's hard to put it in words so the best description is left at magic.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 25, 2011

Actually the very best gift I gave this year was not one I expected. There is a friend I met this year who is going through a rocky patch. Her self-esteem is sagging and truly she is a beautiful smart soul and everyday she teaches me the grace of hospitality. But along the way she's been told she's not the brightest and somewhere along the way she begun to believe it. I've been working to show her just how incredible she truly is. Because she insists she wants to learn, we've been doing some tutoring. For fun, I introduced her to a variety of games including soduku. I bought her a puzzle book for Christmas. She broke down and cried. I'm still working to show her she is just fine. It's more of a confidence thing but the joy she got from a simple puzzle book took me a bit back. I'm glad I went a step beyond what I got the rest of my neighbors and went out for a last minute late night trip to the store. There is so much we take for granted and so much all of us have to offer one another and ourselves. I think everyday she teaches me this. If she only knew that I think she is one of the most beautiful people I've ever had the priveledge to meet.

13. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011

It is the 30th...and I am still waiting for "it" to happen!

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011

Alice, I know you guys had a tough time on Christmas - just wondering how Peter did react to his Imagineer Lunch gift? I know you were very excited about giving it.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

Honestly, he was happy to get it.

But it's the gift he would have gone back to later, when he was awake, to really look at.

And "later" hasn't happened yet.

I'm pretty sure that if you asked him right now what he got for Christmas from anyone, he wouldn't have a clue.

I think he'll love it in August, but right now it's simply not on the radar. This was The Christmas that Wasn't around here.