at what age should students be writing their name at?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Aug 31, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

Hey everyone,
    I survived week 1 and week 2 is underway now. I was just wondering what you guys thought about this. At what age are children supposed to be working on letter formation, such as writing their names? I took sentance stips and dotted out each students name (I teach 3-5 year olds) and then I am going to laminate them and have them practice tracing their names with dry erase markers. I will assess each student on a basis to see if they are learning and see if I can get rid of the dotted lines. Is this developmentally apporiate? I have seen this done before in my student teaching which I got the idea. let me know what you think or if you have another suggestions. Thanks! :thumb:

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 31, 2010

The developmental milestone for name writing is 4.5 years. Of course, each child will develop at his or her own rate. I use the dots only the first week of school with my 4's, if I use it for too long of a period of time they depend on it too much. Also, I've noticed that many will just "connect the dots" without really being aware of what they are doing. I like to give them a name model (name card) to look at so they will begin to notice the characteristics of letter formation and start paying attention to the shapes of the letters instead of the dots. With 3's it's more about exposure to seeing their name in print, the muscles in their eyes and hands aren't developed enough to expect mastery in this area. Here are some suggestions:
    Handwriting
    Using Student Names
    Digital Fonts
    Name Chart

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2010

Vanna, I was curious as to where you got the 4.5 milestone from? I haven't seen that. Do you have other milestones you can share?

And thanks again for your fabulous website. It is a great resource.

5. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 31, 2010

That it what I did last year. My three year olds I focused more on them practicing tracing more than their name. This year, I bought a bunch of address labels and copied everyones name onto a label. Now I just take a label and place it on each paper or project they do and have them trace it. That way I still know who's it is without getting writers cramp myself.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2010

I teach 3-6 yr olds and really don't require my kids to write their names until they're in kindergarten. The first few weeks of school we practice, practice, practice, and they get it.

I worry about requiring children at too young of an age to write their names. Their hands have to develop, and their grips have to develop. Plus, they need to learn the formation of the letters.

There are lots of ways for them to practice writing their names without holding a pencil and using a piece of paper.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 31, 2010

Hi scmom: When I was with Head Start we had two Dr.s that came to visit us on one of our in-service days. One was a pediatrician and the other an eye guy (whatever those are called) they gave us that info, I used to have it in a binder somewhere but that was years ago. I think the main idea behind it is anything that a child can do before 4.5 is great because we know that all kids are different, but by the age of 4.5 it's o.k. to have them attempting to write their names. Of course, when I say "write their names" I really mean: "put pen/pencil to paper and approximate letters, showing an
    understanding that letters and words have meaning" because we never expect them to write their names perfectly. If I can read it with my "teacher eyes" it's good in my book LOL :)

I wasn't able to find that exact number on Google using "developmental milestone" as my search. I think they may have gotten less specific in recent years with the ages so parents don't panic and/or push their kids too hard.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2010

Thanks, Vanna. Yes, I have found parents really obsess about milestones and compare children too much so it is probably better not to be too specific.

Speaking of eyes - I am seeing a lot more kids with eye problems now than 15 years ago. I wonder if it is because we are more aware or proactive about it or too much face time with video screens? Just an aside...

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

Me too. I think it's probably both, maybe the test for young children has improved with technology, but I'm sure video has something to do with it too.

10. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

My three year olds are practicing tracing their names.

11. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Sep 1, 2010

I don't have a single kindergartener that can write their name correctly (letters that go below the line, not using capitals in the middle) I also would like to see them know the names of the letters in their name when they start kindergarten. Just add it to the list of things we have to do!

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 1, 2010

UGH! I think I'm losing it, I just spent 5 minutes searching for the "like" button to like your post but then I realized I wasn't on Facebook :lol: :dizzy:

13. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

Thank you for the suggestions :) I have many who will be five by the end of this year, so i think its important they know how to write their names. Most of them can, but still I have some who are struggling. For my 3's, I am going to be working on identifying letters in their first name and working on developing strong muscles in their hands so they can be able to write. Its so hard when I have a blended class of 3-5 year olds because there is a HUGE difference between the things a 3 year old can do and a 5 year old. It is truly amazing how fast these children develop and learn new things :)

14. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 2, 2010

We no longer use the dots for name tracing. The OTs in our school have suggested that we write it with a highlighter and then have them trace over the writing. The dots often create more of a connect the dots effect than smooth letter writing. Now that I am in the habit of doing it with a highlighter - I really like it and the kids can actually see the entire letter formation.

15. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

k3 teacher, do you just write the names in highlighter on paper and have them trace them? or do you use sentance strips?

16. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 2, 2010

I write it on paper and let them trace. I also do a lot of Rainbow writing - tracing each letter with different colored crayons.