at the end of my rope...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nyteacher85, Sep 4, 2011.

1. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 4, 2011

i really don't know what to do anymore. this has been my 4th year searching for a job and i'm still looking. i've been working in the same district since i graduated. i worked as a teacher assistant for 2 years and all last year i did leave replacements. i have a great reputation in the district but they simply don't have any positions available. this year i'm subbing until another leave replacement opens up. i don't have health benefits and i pay a lot of money in loans that i can't afford. all of my friends have great jobs and are living on their own while i live at home since i can't get a job. i'm getting older and i'm getting nervous that i will never find something. i don't know if this is the point where i should move on or keep waiting it out and hope that next year is my year. it's so depressing and i just need to vent :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

You know, of course, that the job situation in NY has ALWAYS been bad, regardless of what else is happening with the economy.

You really need, if possible, to do two things:
    - Broaden your search to other parts of the country.
    - Hit every single public private and charter school within an hour's drive.

In addition, you need to have a killer cover letter-- one that BEGS the reader to call you in so he can meet you.

Realize that tomorrow is Labor Day, and school starts Tuesday or Wednesday. So it may be a bit late in the season for a full court press. But bring up the topic again in March. In the meantime, work on that cover letter and resume, so they're ready to go on March 1st. And make as many contacts as you can-- make sure everyone you know, from the UPS guy to the waitress at the diner-- knows you're looking for a teaching job.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 4, 2011

I'm sorry this has happened. I, too am getting off to a late start w/ my career. I was in special ed teaching & had I continued working since I got my job in 2006-07, I certainly could have afforded a place of my own way by now, but circumstances have made me return to subbing after I just taught for that 1 yr & I returned back to school to get into the SLP field (since I never was too thrilled about teaching anyway). I've never really been applying to teaching jobs all these yrs because I do NOT want to go back to teaching. I'm finally now at a point where I have the education to get a job in that other field.

I hope you've applied at X amt of districts w/i a X mile radius.

Good luck!

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 4, 2011

I am in the exact same situation as you. *hugs* I've been pretty down lately, too. I think once school starts and I can take a few months "off" from full-time job searching, I'll feel a bit better.

6. SB2103

SB2103 Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

I am from NY originally and know how disheartening it may be. It is truly awful there. Are you stuck in staying in NY? Other places in the country are hiring. My district hired 1500 teachers this year and still have openings. I know everyone's situations are different - but if you aren't tied down to the area, I would definitely suggest looking at other areas in the country. Good luck! :)

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 4, 2011

Did your district hire anyone this school year?

It is difficult when you graduate. Your expectation is that you will either get a job right away or that you will substitute for a year until something opens up for you. Well, the economy is not working that way. Teachers cannot afford to retire so they are staying in the field of teaching longer thus not opening up positions for new teachers. It is the place we are in right now. As other posters have said, if you can leave the NY area, there are places that are hiring. This would give you some much needed experience and would make you more marketable in the NY job hunt. If you are unable to leave NY, then I would continue subbing. I would be the best sub that the district has ever seen. I would make business cards, leave rooms immaculate, follow plans to the letter, and ask teachers to recommend you to other teachers. When TEACHERS see how invaluable you are, they will talk to their administrators. Administrators will call you for any long term subbing positions, and that might open up into a full time position. Four years is a long time to be on the job hunt. Like I have said, we had two openings this year. We had over 1000 teachers apply with varying degrees of experience. We hired two brand new teachers. We interviewed some experienced persons, but they did not have the knowledge base of our curriculum that these two young educators brought to the team. Keep looking, trying, and subbing. Your time will come if you continue to put in the time.

8. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

nyteacher85
    Please know that there are many people in your position. Be thankful you have parents that can help you as far as a place to live. You are gaining valuable experiece with subbing and that will look good on your resume.
    I am also in the job searching boat with you and I have chosen to be as positive as I can possibly be. It isn't easy, and sometimes I dont succeed, but otherwise, I will go nuts. Expand your search to other types of work, such as tutoring, online teaching, test prep, etc.
    I am so sorry you feel at the end of your rope.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2011

NY...keep at it. Make sure you are casting a WIDE net in your search...public, private, charter...a bit longer commute...urban, suburban....don't discount Any potential opportunity.

10. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 4, 2011

My district didn't hire anyone this year. I've been doing leave replacements for them and believe that if the economy was different I would already have my job. I'm looking into moving out of state which is scary to me but something I know I have to do. Thanks for listening everyone and for all the advice!

11. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 4, 2011

Keep your head up. Things will eventually get better. I'm in the same boat and I realize how tough it is. Stay encouraged!

12. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I completely understand & just posted something similar. It deco definitely sucks : (

13. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

Someone once told me that when you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and keep holding on!

I'm trying to do this as well, but its extremelyyyyyy hard.

14. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 5, 2011

I want to point out that this doesnt just hit new teachers or young teachers or old teachers, etc. This is hitting us all. I've heard of fresh teachers getting jobs, and fresh teachers not getting them. The same goes with veteran teachers getting and not getting hired.
    I am 40, have 2 teen children (who cost the hubby and me a bundle in their school tuition) and we are loaded down with school loans.
    We have early 20 somethings, no kids, but in the same position with school loans.
    I guess my point is, noone gets left behind or unfairly picked on in this economy. Ugh!
    I will keep all the job seekers and educators with jobs in my prayers. In this state of our country, we need it.

15. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 6, 2011

nyteacher85

I am in the same boat too. I am still looking for a position. I am subbing with three districts this year and working two part time jobs while going to grad school. You are not alone. We all just have to hang in there. I am taking time "off" from the search as well. I am only checking about twice a week now and looking at Wisconsin as a possibility to move to. Hang in there!

16. PhysEd83

PhysEd83 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

I graduated in 2009 with a physical education degree. I haven't found a full time teaching gig yet. I get depressed and lose motivation in the job search. Last school year, I filled a vacancy for the first month hoping I would get the job. My luck ran out because they had to hire what is known as excessed teachers or ATRs. One month in I lost my opportunity. Because of a hiring freeze, I couldn't be hired. I continued the rest of the year with 2 long term subbing jobs.

Now ATRs have to substitute teach. I think all of the regular subs have no choice but to take less work. This is hopeless. I'm just glad Bloomberg is out of office soon. The job market in NYC is tough right now.

17. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 9, 2011

My district only hires excessed teachers also. If anyone is interested in moving, virginia is still hiring. I think I'm going to apply for next year because I think it will be too stressful to move and start teaching at the same time.

18. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

If only I were young, single, childless, and able to move! hahaha. That was just a sick attempt at a joke.
    My husband has about 3 more years before he will retire, so until then, no move is in the cards for us. I would be more than willing to get the heck out of here after that, even if it isnt to find a job.
    I guess until the education of our youth is taken more seriously, funding to educate them will be tight.

19. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Sep 15, 2011

I'm in the same shoes. It's funny looking back, when I graduated I was all cocky, thinking I'd have my choice of district, and actually turned down an interview for a temp position at a "bad" school in my ST district. Then the economy went bad. I'm about to file a 3 year extension for my credential because it'll expire in another year, but I think they only let us do that once, and if one doesn't find a job by then......