At Risk Teacher

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by youmanj, Mar 31, 2011.

1. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Mar 31, 2011

Are there any guidelines for this position? I have my bachelors in Education, but I was wondering if there was any other type of certification that I need.

I'm thinking about looking into this type of teaching if I can't get into a classroom this year. Are districts hiring for this position, and if so, where are places that I should look.

Again, any help is appreciated...thanks

-J

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

A job posting for such a position would probably list the required certifications. I would imagine that sped or reading certificate may factor in...

4. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Mar 31, 2011

is this even a desirable postition, bc I can hardly find a listing for such position?

I know the positions exist, bc I see them all the time when I'm subbing

-J

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

There's probably not many listings because many schools don't have such a position, if they do have such teachers it's probably just one or two...kind of narrows down the potential for openings. If you are interested in working with at risk kids, you may want to get a sped certificate...

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 1, 2011

I applied and was called in for an interview for an at risk teacher at a charter school. In my case, I just had to be certified to teach K-5. When I asked the recruiter about the position, she said it would be pulling out students who needed additional assistance in reading and math. She said at this point it would be primarily math related. I guess they had more kids needing assistance with that.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 1, 2011

Or in an inner-city district with an "at risk" population. Our district has several Pre-K at risk programs- but you have to have a certain certificate to teach Pre-K.

8. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Apr 1, 2011

yeah, that is exactly what I'm looking for

I've subbed in a few inner city schools, and that is where I've seen a majority of them.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 2, 2011

I work at our district's "at risk" school, and I know our principal wants to see ELL and special ed endorsements. Also it's helpful to us if staff can teach multiple subject matters because the credit needs of our school population change so dramatically from year to year.

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 2, 2011

Band has a good point. I am also middle grades (SS and LA) certified and I have an ESOL endorsement so I'm sure that is another reason why I was called in for an interview.