At Risk PreK Teachers out there?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by lee, Sep 23, 2004.

1. lee

lee New Member

Sep 23, 2004

Anyone teach in an At Risk Program at their school? I am just starting up a program and am looking for input.

How about home visits? What do you do on your first visit?

Looking forward to replies!

:D

3. Teach2U

Teach2U Guest

Oct 18, 2004

I teach Head Start in a K-5 elementary and we do two home visits per school year. On the first one I try to establish a bond with the family. I bring any unfinished paperwork, develop their child's Individual Development Plan (the goals they have for their child), take a family photo, and leave an activity (like a color or shape hunt) for the parent and child to do together.
    The visit last 20-30 minutes. The children love it! And we enjoy going too!

4. Robin

Robin Rookie

Oct 30, 2004

I am also a Head Start teacher. I have done two HV's to date since late August. The first one is to introduce myself and get to know the family. We have a Home Visit form. I ask for input and so on. This time around is a progress report, and they are more comfortable and I ask for more input and find they are much more apt to tell me how they are feeling and offer ideas to use. I spend a lot of time encouraging parents to come in a spend time with their child and contribute their talents. Can you be more specific about what you are looking for?