At-home contract day

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 10, 2019

I'm now starting to think seriously about this as teacher week starts Monday after next, but when we were given our back-to-school packet, our principal asked us to complete one full contract day on our own before we get rolling.

Now, many might consider this heading in one day or maybe half a day two days and busying about in the classroom, but 1) aw, dude, it's still summer and 2) we still have no carpet due to a flood earlier in the summer.

So I'm trying to get stuff done at home. School supply shopping, unit tidying, writing beginning of the year copy. I actually think I'm doing pretty well getting the hours added up, but out of curiosity, what would a at-home contract day look like you for you?

otterpop and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2019

Wow! I have never heard of doing a contract day from home. I would love it if it were not during the summer. I'd use it to get caught up on grading, planning, and I'd probably get shopping in there too. :) Do you have to watch all of those videos on Child Abuse, Blood Borne Pathogens, Suicide Prevention, etc. ? If yes, I'd get those out of the way too.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2019

I have done that many times over the years and have usually used the time to organize units, write lesson plans, set up grade books, research upcoming lessons, etc. I always appreciated the opportunity to get paid for the hours put in at home.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 10, 2019

I've never had the opportunity to "work from home" as a teacher. One year, there was going to be a snowstorm on a teacher work day and the district sent out a robo call saying teachers could choose to work at home if they wanted. I was excited about the prospect- I planned to just work through a bunch of IEPs on my couch in my PJs. Every other teacher I talked to was furious and said that they needed to be in their classroom to work. The weather ended up being so bad (basically every metro area district closed, and we hardly get snow days) that the district changed it's mind and didn't open up the buildings at all. They ended up letting us use the next day, which was supposed to be PD, for a work day in the buildings.

Backroads likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 11, 2019

I'd love the chance to work from home. I'm immensely more productive without interruptions from colleagues and the urge to organize supplies or run to the copier. At home, I can lock myself in a room and focus on one task at a time much better. My go-to tasks would be lesson planning, online account setup for students, and a welcome back letter for students and parents.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2019

Well, last week, I spent a few hours filling out home visit documentation and sending follow up email. Yesterday, I spent four hours just sorting out my schedule for the year. This morning, I’ll be creating my first week plans. All of this was from home, while sitting on my back deck. I also have individualized PD that I could do from home (read one of the many unread teaching books on my shelf). I would love to be paid to work from home.

otterpop and Backroads like this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2019

What does your contract say? Because this wouldn’t fly in my district

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2019

Are you getting extra compensation for this?

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2019

There is a school in my area (not my district but one nearby) where the teachers have a contracted work day for report cards, but they are allowed to work from home, if they choose. I was assuming that was the case with the OP. If so, I'd love this opportunity. I hate having to go in to school when I could get my work finished more comfortably with fewer distractions at home.

otterpop and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2019

We have a couple of "self-directed" PD days during the year to complete assessments and work on report cards. We must work at school for half of the day, but may work off-site for the afternoon.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 11, 2019

Not a darn thing either way in so specific an instruction. It does say we are given 183 contract days and 3 district/school-sponsored PD days. There are 180 student days. Therefore, 3 extra contract days. My principal decides she wants everything done and out of the way before school starts. Teacher week starts the 19th. That's 5 days. 3 days scheduled for PD, 2 for contract. Therefore, we are to do the 3rd contract day on our own prior to the 19th. It's next to impossible to do anything in the building--computers are not set up, still no carpet so we can't move anything around.

I'm not sure of another way around it than to do what I can from home.

Not extra, just what the contract stipulates.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 11, 2019

We do need to get those out of the way! Great idea!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2019

I like the idea of working from home so much that I am going to bring it up before we talk about our next yr calendar. I'd like 1 day per month to catch up. ( Yes, I would like fries with that too, but will settle for the workday at home.) Most of us live a long way from where we work in this area. I think we could justify it easily. The last Friday of each month shall be my suggestion. They've been asking for suggestions a lot lately. Let's see how it goes! :)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2019

As far as PD during the day, my school board always offers a variety of workshops, many during the day and almost all provide a sub. If a sub isn't provided, we need to get admin approval so that they can figure out how to cover the class. For the past few years PLCs have been timetabled into the school day. Most of us participate in a 5 or 6 week session once during the year. Last year was the first year when we were able to decide on our own groups and topics for our PLCs. The classes of the teachers in PLCs are covered by the teacher-librarian, the ELL teachers and one of the Special Ed teachers.