At home activities for a student who is struggling with letter iden?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Dec 15, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Dec 15, 2012

I have a student in my room this year who is EXTREMELY low. He came in mid-year. He came over because according to his mother, his other school was "so low and they were still teaching letters and stuff, and he's way above that"....Well I found out later that he actually can't identify any of his letters. It's so sad, and very frustrating for me, because he is no where near the level of anyone else in the class. My principal has decided that a major intervention needs to go on at home during Christmas break, or he may need to go back to pre-K for the remainder of the year.

I am meeting with mom this week. What are some at home activities I can provide her with...other than boring letter flash cards. He cannot identify any letters. What else can I tell her to do with him? THANK YOU!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 15, 2012

If you use flashcards you can either have him match upper & lower case letters or use 2 sets and match letters. Limit the number of letters. When I do this I have the child say the letter name & give them the sound that the letter makes. I have several file folder games like this that use all of the letters.

He can write a given letter in shaving cream or sand, always saying the sound.

Using wikki sticks have him make letters, focus on letters in his name. Once again go over sounds.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2012

He can circle letters in common nursery rhymes or match lower and uppercase letters.

Play memory or go fish with lower and uppercase letters.

5. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jan 13, 2013

I always have success by pairing music with visuals... you could look into HeidiSongs, or Dr. Jean has "Who Let The Letters Out". Students usually love that song. His mom could make a simple book and show him the letters while they sing the song together. He could dig magnet letters out of a sensory bin and mark them off on a chart.

6. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 13, 2013

Some activities I do with my Kinde's are matching upper and lower case letters on spoons (I have lower case on clear and upper case on white so they see them together when they are matched up), before matching they have to say the letter and sound; they like the file folder match-up games; I made a drawing-type thing out of a gallon ziploc bag that has hair gel, food coloring, and glitter in it and they can write their letters on that; we did dry erase tracing; match-up like memory; etc. Basically I did anything that got them seeing and saying letters and sounds.