At a Lost and Overhwhelmed..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss84, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

This is my first year teaching! (Yay!) And I am excited about this opportunity....BUT I am at a lost at what to do next.

I filled out paper work, so things are official, but they don't know what room I will be in and I don't even have the curriculum to start planning. I don't have a class list, so I do not know how many students I will have, but I am guessing around 10-12 since I am at a small private school.I have seen a classroom, and if the rooms are about the same it is not big at all. I want to take advantage of these deals for school supplies but I really don't know what/how much to get. :dizzy:

Help!

3. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I would buy 5 more than you think you will need. That way, you will be covered if you get any new students or if your class is larger than you expect. It's not a waste because you'll use the extras next year. :)

4. multilingual

multilingual Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Good luck!

5. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Work on the structure of the classroom for now. The routines and rules of the classroom. Regardless of the grade, you will still need these! I am in the same boat as you. I will not find out what grade/subjects I am teaching until the end of this week. So I feel your anxiousness! Good Luck

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2009

Sorry you are at a loss right now, but I bet you can get more done than you think. Plan your welcome back bb, start on your first day letter to parents, which you can add to once you find out more details, and write down all of your procedures and rules. Think through exactly how your day should go and try to plan for every possibility like fire drills, if a kiddo gets sick, sharpening pencils, turning in papers, lunch count, how and when kids will get books from your class library, and every little mundane detail of your day. If you don't know your grade level yet, think of a variety of first day lessons, bell work, and read alouds.