Assuring names get on papers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newteech, Jul 16, 2009.

1. newteech

newteech Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I really struggled last year with students forgetting to put their names on their papers. I don't want to be one of those teachers who makes their kids write their names a 100 times or something.

Could you offer some suggestions on how I can get my kids to remember their names every time?

thanks

3. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

Tell them every time.

At least for 1st grade...

I count down how long they have to write their name or we sing a song for writing their name and when we are done singing, they should be done writing.

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

For the last two years, I have had the students highlight their names on their papers for the first several weeks. When I could see they were remembering their names, I allowed them to cut back on highlighting unless they felt they needed to. Most quit highlighting. If they forgot, I would highlight the space for their name and they knew to begin highlighting their name again so they wouldn't forget. They didn't use highlighters very often after the first couple of weeks.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 16, 2009

So, how do you get them to remember to highlight their names???

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

my question too

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

They each had a highlighter and there were highlighters at the bins where they turned work in. If we were starting something together, I would ask them to remind me what they needed to do to get started on the assignment (5th graders). Once someone said it, most of them had it written. A couple weeks into the year, they were in the habit. It just took time and practice...something we do lots of at the beginning of the year.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

Okay, here is my tried-and-true way to get my 2nd graders to put their name on their papers. It is a four-step approach.

Number 1 -- each and every time you hand out a paper say "Put your name on the top now." Pause.

Number 2 -- say "Find your name on the paper. Point to it now." Look around for kids who aren't pointing to their name. "Billy, I don't see you pointing to your name. Did you put your name at the top like I asked? No? Do it now." and watch him to make sure he does.

Number 3 - say "Now, check your neighbor. If your neighbor forgot to write his or her name, raise your hand now and let me know." 2nd graders love to tattle, and I just gave them permission to tattle! That doesn't happen often.

Number 4 - When I collect papers, I say "I will call one person's name at each table. That person needs to collect all the papers at that table, make sure they are all facing the same direction, and that they all have names on them. If they don't all have names on them, I won't be calling on you to do this again anytime soon-- I'll choose someone else."

As I get the papers from each table, I glance at them, and if a name is missing, I hand the whole table's papers back to the person who collected them and say "I can't accept these papers. There is a name missing. Go back to your table and see if you can figure it out and get the right name on there." You could do the same thing with rows (have one person collect for the entire row.) or groups of desks.

What you can't do is just say "Hand your papers in" or "put your paper in the tray" and then don't bother to look until the next day. You'll spend way too much time trying to figure out who the no-names are.

If you use the method above consistenly from the beginning, by the end of the first month they are so in the habit of doing it, that it is no longer an issue.

9. TeachCA

TeachCA Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Names

After I hand out the pages they are to work on I ask them to touch their name, touch the date. If they can't they automatically write it down. Then I tell them that if they can touch their name and date they may begin their work. The first couple of weeks I keep an eye on them and soon they learn. It's funny because as soon as I start to say "Touch" they are saying it with me.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

Almost word-for-word what I do. I also check for names while I'm walking around the room looking for someone to help if it's one of those assignments that need close monitoring.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 16, 2009

Someone on here gave this idea and it has worked almost 100% of the time. I have a "Finished Work" basket with a highlighter tied on a string attached to it. The routine is to Highlight your name and put it in the Finished Work basket. It really works!

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

You all are going to think I am so mean, after the first month of school... I throw it away if there is no name, they have to redo it for HW. :eek:

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2009

I don't think you are mean. I do think there is a huge difference between 2nd graders and 6th graders, though. :) I think that difference would account for a different approach. I would expect an older child to remember to put his/her name on a paper. Second graders are still just learning this skill.

14. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I did this one year but encouraged them to"see their name in lights" It was corny, but they got the idea. After awhile I didn't need to use the highlighters. I put them away. Every once in awhile someone would ask to use it though.

I also have a silly song that I sing(or whistle) which I think I found here. After a few weeks of singing it 2 things happen: they put their name on so I Don't sing, or they start singing it for themselves. It was pretty funny really.
    "The first thing on your paper is your name...
    The first thing on your paper is your name...
    Mrs. ______ needs to know, whose paper it is so,,,
    The first thing on your paper is your name.
    (to the tune of If you're happy and you know it) BTW- I am third grade :)

15. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Sometimes I would give the students that HAD their name a chip for my basket(goes with my incentive plan),for HW but by 4th quarter I would take 2 pts. off of a test. or graded assignment.

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

We use highlighters for notetaking anyway, so I'm going to try having them highlight their names.

17. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 17, 2009

With my first graders I use this poem, and they end up memorizing it:

The First Thing I Do Is Always The Same,
    I Pick Up My Pencil and Write My Name.

I also have a student collect papers, and they have to check that the student's name is on every paper before they collect it. They remind the student if the name isn't there.

I never had any problems w/ no names unless a sub was there...it worked pefectly. :)

18. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

a few highlighter warnings...

Having the kids highlight their names worked like a charm last year. I put a cupholder with 4 or five of them next to the turn-in bin, and the kids loved using them but I learned a few things...
    1. Tell the kids to STRIPE their names-otherwise they will spend too much time coloring in their names.
    2. Have all the same color-otherwise the kids will fight over them.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

i do like rain suggested, pass out the paper, then say touch your name, touch a neighbors name or circle your name, something like that.

20. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

I do what a lot of other people do... I have had good results with saying "Check your neighbors" or "put a check mark by your name", or "check your heading"

21. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Their name is part of the heading they are supposed to do. I also take points off and after the first or 2nd time they are really good at it. Plus the paper goes in as a zero and is placed in the no name basket until it is claimed.

Then weekly I put sticky notes on desks letting them know what is missing.

22. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

By the end of last year, I could tell whose paper was whose thanks to the handwriting styles. Besides, only one of my students was bad about not putting his name on the paper, so the one unnamed paper was always his :)

That won't be the case when school starts up this year. I always have a "picker-upper" student who picks up all work to give to me. This year, checking for names will be his/her job. So, it's no longer my headache :haha:

23. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I teach 4th and from day one I let my students know that no name papers go in the trash.

24. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

You are tougher than me. After about a month, I start calling out the names of every one who turned in an assignment. If they don't hear their name, they know that they can look in the trash for the pile of no names I put in there...but I give them about a month of reminders before I start that.

25. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I swear by the highlighter method. :woot: I tried that for the first time last year and it worked like a charm. The only no name papers were the ones where kids forgot to highlight their name, too.

I had a basket of highlighters because one was not enough. If kids forgot to write their name, they used the highlighter to write it in. I agree about the single colors. I used orange and blue and the kids would sometimes use both colors which would make brown and completely blank out their names. This, of course, defeated the purpose. :rolleyes:

As for implementation it was just one of the procedures I stressed at the beginning of the year and within a few weeks it was habit.

26. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 17, 2009

:DI don't think you are mean, I did that too in 4th after a while, however, if they keep ending up with the zeros... well....:help: so I think I will try the highlighters this year - very heavy on practice in beginning. It might even be a job for someone to do spot-checking for me! Appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!:)

27. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I did that too, but last year, I had a kid or two who would try to "assume ownership" of someone's work in the trash, not theirs.... It's a mess isn't it? So simple WRITE YOUR NAME! :whistle:

28. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

I only had one time when 2 kids argued over a paper. I told them they had 30 seconds to figure it out and if they couldn't decide I would rip it in 1/2 and no one would get credit. They didn't, I ripped...and there was never a next time. Of course, I'm sure that since it worked last year, it won't this year...nothing ever seems to work 2 years in a row.

29. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I like this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

I would get out my highlighter & go around & highlight only those papers without names. For some reason they hated this! As soon as they saw the highlighter they put their name on their paper.

31. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 17, 2009

I used the highlighter idea..got it from here, I think. :) Someone shared that they had a sign by the hand-in trays that said, "Put It In Lights". I found clip art of a movie marquee, enlarged it, and wrote the slogan on it. I posted it by the trays, along with a small container to hold the highlighters. It worked well for the majority of the kids.

I, too, think that by 4th grade on up, students should be in the habit of putting their name on their paper the first thing they do. I used to remind them every time, but stopped because even when reminded some don't put their name on. By this age level, I think the skill should be ingrained and that they need to take on the responsibility for that task. No names go in the trash. They can do them over, if they wish, but I leave the choice up to them.

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

I always rip it in half (that is why its HW), they can take it out of the trash on their next break (recess, lunch, etc) to copy it.

33. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I do almost exactly what Rainstorm does, but every once in a while, I'd have the kids underline the vowels in their names with a certain color or make a symbol or figure like a heart or a triangle under the first letter of their name, or something else silly in addition to the classroom routine. I'd usually wait to do this until the winter blahs hit to try to break up the monotony.

34. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

If I taught 6th grade, I'd rip it too. With 9 year olds, I have to be a little more understanding.

35. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I like this idea.

I also like the highlighter ideas. I may have to borrow these this year.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  36. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

Yes! this is what I do. My first graders love to highlight their names - and if there's no name to highkight, then they can't use it. They go back to thier seats, write their names, and then come back to highlight. This can work well for homework, too, when I can't remind them to put their names on at home.

Often, I will have them put names on homework in school, and then check it before they leave for home.