Associate Duties

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by geiwee, Sep 20, 2009.

1. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

Now that my associate and I are going on 4 weeks into school, I am writing out her actual duties so that they are clear to each of us and any subs. We have managed the room the past 3 weeks but I want to do this to make it more organized and structured each day. What do your associates do? What are your expectations for them? I have some things but would like to know what others do. Thanks!

3. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

I assume you mean your assistant teacher? My assistant does:

Helps put down chairs and washes tables at beginning of day
    Checks the children's folders as they come in and hands me any notes to deal with
    Monitors the room continously (as I do)
    Checks off our breakfast and lunch count and sets out breakfast and lunch (I am doing circle times while she does this)
    Helps clean up tables and floors after meals or table activities
    Helps with any art we are doing that day/monitors centers
    Helps walk around during naptime and helps keep children quiet
    Puts folders back in bookbags and bookbags up front for children to grab
    Helps put away mats/blankets after naptime
    Helps put out snack

Anytime I say "help" it means that I am doing this too. My assistant this year is awesome, and pretty much just understood what I needed done. :)

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 20, 2009

can't help--don't have one, never have....

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 21, 2009

My assistants are in charge of getting my students off the bus in the morning and putting them on the bus. They also change students in diapers throughout the day. They are in charge of changing our cleaning bottles daily. Santizing toys. Cleaning the room. They are also in charge of a small group table and take ancedotal notes for our assessment the COR. THey also help with lesson planning small group times, but I am the ultimate decsision maker there. Like miss j stated, they are in charge of monitoring the students at all times. One of my assistances is in charge of lunch time while we take our lunches. One of my assistants works 1:1 with a student daily during rest time.

6. elliemay

elliemay Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

My assistant helps basically in the same ways that Miss J. stated earlier. We do not have nap time--our school hours are 9-1.

In addition to "helping" with the everyday tasks that arise during class, my assistant gathers all supplies needed for the lesson plans I have written out. Teachers are responsible for completing plans 1 month ahead. This gives our assistants time to gather materials or put in a request to our supply person for items we don't normally have in our supply room.

Most of the teachers in my school have "seasoned" assistants (those with years of experience). However, this is not true for me. This is our 2nd year together and I was hoping we could work better together this year.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 25, 2009

I'm not in pre-K but I've been an aide. In our school one of the most popular ways to use an aide is in a one-on-one or a small group setting to review/reinforce concepts you've already taught. We use aides to help us run multiple centers. The teacher is typically still able to watch the aide in the same room but as trust builds and knowledge of what the aide is capable or not capable of becomes more solid then the teacher can release and let the aide do the things the aide is able to do. That is different for each aide. In order to make this work though, the teacher has to clearly communicate the expectations for the lessons to the aide, what is the acceptable result, what the objective is, etc. In our pre-k room, the aide does quite a bit. She does a lot of prep work such as bulletin boards, cutting out materials, etc. She helps with behavior management. She helps with centers and small group activities. She ocassionally take over during circle time and other parts of the day in order to allow the teacher to attend a meeting, attend to a parent, to allow the teacher to solve an extreme behavioral issue, etc.

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

My assistant and I have been together eight years and she is fabulous! We've been together so long, some mornings when we come to work our clothes match. In addition to what many others have said, she leads a story time at the end of our day and chooses her own book and fingerplay/song. Generally, she will choose books that don't fall into my theme categories for the year, but are great books for the children to hear.

9. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 26, 2009

My former place I worked at in Kansas I had an assistant but I let her do a lot of things I did just because I needed the help. We had a TON of paperwork along with lesson planning and cleaning and prepping. It's always nice to give them that experience in case they go on to be a lead teacher which in her case came true when I moved to Cali. Now I don't have an assistant. I have 2 co teachers. We're all responsible for 6 children when we separate into groups and we're all responsible for everyone when we're together. We each take a week for curriculum out of the month, we have a cleaning chart to help guide us on the detail side of cleaning, and we all help each other prep. It's pretty nice.