Assistant

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teaching4God, Jan 17, 2011.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 17, 2011

I am finally getting and assistant for ~45 minutes a day. This will be during my math block. I am trying to plan ahead so that we both can make the most of this time. How would you handle it?
    I thought it would be great if she could help guide math centers while I do interventions. I do have to take into account time for whole group though and I only get her for a short while. How do you setup things to make sure they flow smoothly. I have never had the opportunity to have an assistant before. I know that the one I am getting is hardworking and cheerful.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2011

Try to plan your whole group for the time when she isn't in there if possible. This way you can maximize her worktime with students. Many times it helps to have the assistant run a more hands-on center.

The best thing you can do is to get into a routine and make sure you have time to plan with the assistant (or at least go over plans).

4. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 17, 2011

When you say hands on center, can you throw a rough idea out there? like math specific?

5. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 17, 2011

Just because she comes in at math time do you need to have her do just math? I would use her for whatever is the most pressing need at the time, in any subject.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2011

Maybe one that involves modeling numbers with base ten blocks or a problem solving center where the students need more assistance.

I love that I can teach a concept and then have my assistant work with a small group that didn't understand yesterday's lesson (it's reteaching) and I can reteach today's lesson or work on enrichment.

7. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 17, 2011

I suppose you are right cateste.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2011

I have recruited a parent to be my assistant during math time. =) I am setting up a conference with her to let her know what we're doing right now and also give her a cheat sheet of some things to be looking for in the various stations. I will be able to work with a small group while she is observing the students in stations. She will know the goals of the stations and be having conversations with students that will hopefully get them thinking. I will also observe during stations, but having her around will help.
    If I had a "real" assistant, I might also show her some specific activities she can do with different groups to meet their specific needs (whether it is enriching or reteaching).

9. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 17, 2011

I thought about making a binder so that she could just come in and know where to pick up. Not sure how to go about that.

10. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Jan 17, 2011

good point about if she has to do math during your math time. I like the idea of having them work on hands on games with small groups of kids; it is so hard to do that with our class sizes. I know the positive engagement project has some fun and free math games perfect for small groups. Not sure if you have mountain math, but this could also be a good opportunity for small groups of kids to work on it with an adult, because of its complexity and size (usually a small bulettin board or large pocket chart)

11. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jan 17, 2011

I was thinking about ordering Drops in a Bucket and wondering if it would be worth it.