Assistant Troubles?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzybri14, Oct 5, 2007.

1. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 5, 2007

I am trying to get some advice on my situation with my assistant. She has started to irritate me more and more (we have been in school since Aug. 27). The first week it went well, but now I feel as though she is getting "comfortable"?? I'm not exactly sure how to explain it other than that. Here goes the venting:

-I know that I am a perfectionist when it comes to bulletin boards, but she has tried and it hideous and I have to redo them.
    -She is on her cell phone in the classroom when the kids are in the room.
    -She mispronounces words while talking with the children. Many of my students already have speech/language issues!
    -She cannot keep control of my class when I leave the room for 2 minutes.
    -I give her plans to follow for guided reading, and she doesn't follow them! Doesn't seem that she is getting anything done or pushing them.
    -She is babying one of my students who speaks VERY little English.

That about raps it up. I could use any advice/suggestions on how to take care of these issues. I am not sure how she would take it if I brought it up to her face to face. Also, she is older than me and I don't want to make her feel incompetant or anything.

Sorry that this is so long just needed to get this off of my chest! Thanks for reading this vent!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2007

In regards to the guided reading, have her do a checklist of what she accomplished and student results. This will come in handy if you want have to talk to administration about her.

Have her do something else besides the bulletin. I had mine just get the letters out and I did everything else or we did it together.

4. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 5, 2007

Thanks! That is a GREAT idea! I love the idea of having documentation of student results and what she's accomplished.

5. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I had a very similar situation, and I finally got a new aide about a week ago. My advice is to document document document! Write down dates, times, and what happened. After maybe a week of documenting, have a little meeting with her (and another staff member for your own sake) and discuss the things that need to change. Continue documenting, and then if nothing changes, you take it to the principal or administrator. Good luck! It can be so hard to have someone in your classroom that makes you uncomfortable!