assistant principal faked observations and put them in my personnel file

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Boo, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Boo

Boo Rookie

Apr 9, 2011

About 3 weeks ago, I requested to look through my personnel file at human resources. I had never done so. I have worked for 4 years with the district and just wanted to take a peek. I found 2 classroom observation forms with my signatures forged, attached to my evaluation. It had signatures with dates that I did not meet with the principal. In fact, one of the dates was a date I had a substitute teacher.
    These observations were positive. However, they are clearly NOT my signature and the observations did NOT happen.
    I know you're going to say that what is the problem, they are positive, he was just getting his evaluation paperwork done.
    However....I don't like that my evaluator could just put fake documents into my file and forge my signature.
    How do I go about this?
    I have absolutely no faith in this assistant principal now.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2011

Oh, it is a problem. Totally not okay.

No particluar reason, though, you requested to see your file?

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Apr 9, 2011

That sounds like an ethics violation that could put both of you on the line if you knowingly ignore it. Do you know who the AP is that forged your signature? I would document. Save all documentation, especially the sub documentation from that absence and observation.

I would call up my union representative.

5. Boo

Boo Rookie

Apr 9, 2011

I do know the assistant principal who did it, because he signed it and dated it himself, next to my forged signature. I looked in my file because I had read recently that it is a good idea to look in your personnel file at least once a year.
    I did get copies made of the fake observations. I think I will ask my rep how to procede on this matter.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

I would bring the copies and documentation with you when you talk with your union rep.

7. Boo

Boo Rookie

Apr 9, 2011

Would this be a fireable offense? I would love to see this guy gone. I do not want him in the building and evaluating me anymore. I have absolutely no faith in him anymore.

8. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Apr 9, 2011

First, consider the possibility that the AP's signature is also forged, and someone else created these fake evaluations.

Second, even if the AP is responsible for this, consider the possibility that there's more going on here. The AP may have been ordered to create these fake observations because the school or district simply doesn't allow time for it. That doesn't make it okay, but it certainly might change the way you deal with the situation -- there's a huge difference in identifying one person who cut corners, versus discovering a larger scandal involving multiple people.

If the file contains only photocopies, it's possible that the same evaluations appear in multiple teachers' files, with only the name changed, and maybe the date and/or time [or not].

Also consider what other documents (not in your personnel file) may have been forged with your signature in the interests of expediency: IEPs, disciplinary forms, meeting attendance forms and waivers, peer reviews, etc.

Your experience should encourage other teachers to insist on reviewing their personnel file at least once each year.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2011

In this situation, I think I would talk with the AP. Give him a chance to explain before you accuse him. Like the other poster said, he may not be the one to blame. I think I would want to make sure I have covered every possible scenario before possibly being responsible for someone losing their job.

10. Boo

Boo Rookie

Apr 10, 2011

Thank you for your help. I'm 100% sure the AP did it. However, a person who would create evaluation documents and forge a teacher's signature to them is also very capable of lying about it.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 10, 2011

Honestly, I don't think you should talk to the AP. I would go directly to the union and let them know that there are documents in your file where your signature has been forged. That is a huge deal, in my opinion. The union will probably be able to either get an investigation started, or point you in the right direction.

You don't have to personally accuse the AP when you complain. You should complain that there is a forged signature. Whoever investigates it should be able to get to the bottom of this by interviewing whoever may have been involved. If the AP really didn't do it, he can point them in the direction of who did. Whoever forged your signature should be gone.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

Very true. If you start with your union representative, they will know if this is commonly going on or happening on more than evaluations.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

I agree with going to a trusted union rep first. This could be a grievance issue.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2011

Definitely go to the union rep, and NOT the AP or anyone else in the administration, first. This is a serious breach, and I could definitely see it being a fireable offense (for the AP) at minimum.

15. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 11, 2011

Similar situation

When i saw my personnel file this year, I didn't have fake observations,but only the last year's observations were in there. There were none for the last 5 years, and the ones that were in there were not the file copies that are supposed to go in there. Someone is definitely not doing the filing.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 11, 2011

I wouldn't accuse the AP at all. I would word it in a way that you were worried that YOUR signature was forged. Let the AP's cards fall as they may.

17. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011

It makes me wonder if you got copies of the documents? Those documents may "disappear" if you start asking about them.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2011

That's what I'd worry about too. Make copies of whatever was in the file and take them home for safekeeping. Do NOT leave them at school, even in a locked drawer or cabinet in your room. They're not safe there.

19. Boo

Boo Rookie

Apr 11, 2011

I did make copies and have them at home.

20. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Apr 11, 2011

Very wise observation.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 11, 2011

Our special ed. department fakes observations for all of the related service providers (slp's, ot, etc.) They literally just write down numbers. Luckily, since I'm in one building full time I get evaluated by our princpal and leadership team. My friend is going to the union because she got lower scores this year than she did last year (both fake observations) and now it looks like she's gone down in performance. Go to your union, and I agree just say you're concerned about your signature. Don't say anything about the AP.

22. Boo

Boo Rookie

Apr 11, 2011

wow, Waterfall, good luck to your friend. I find it ironic that special ed teachers are held to high standards in paperwork, yet have no problem "faking" these observations. We don't evaluate them ourselves, it's all their supervisor. I hope they are hauled over the carpet for this.
    As for my own situation, I am a special ed teacher myself, and I am held to procedures and standards at IEP meetings, and am evaluated over this, yet my supervisor, an AP has no problem creating a fake evaluation and forging a signature to it.
    So I am going to my trusted union rep and I am going to actually write a response to my last evaluation, stating it as you have suggested, that I was concerned that it was not my signature on the observations, and I had a substitute teacher on one of the days of one of the supposed observation days.