Assignments not submitted

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kaley12, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Apr 7, 2013

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering what you do with students who don't submit an assignment? Do you simply record it as a zero and let it affect their overall average accordingly, or do you make sure it gets handed in, even if it's quite late?

I've been trying to make sure my students (grade 9) get all their work in, but when you have 70 students altogether, you can't keep on them all for everything. I feel like if it's an odd thing missing, their mark doesn't really get affected too bad overall, but for students who rarely submit homework or sometimes don't do an assignment, I'm at a loss.

I've spoken to the parents that I needed, and 1st reports have gone home as well, so it's not a matter of covering my behind, but wondering if I should still hold students accountable for unfinished work, even if they only get a "pass" as a mark to say it was done. Or just let their low mark be a wake up call?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2013

I enter missing work into the gradebook as a zero until it gets turned in. I had out missing work slips every week or two so that they know what's missing and have an opportunity to do it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

When I taught fifth grade, I had a 3 day policy. I had a lot of communication, of course, that you don't necessarily have in high school. No homework? Note in agenda, 5 points off. Still no homework? 2nd note in agenda, 10 points off. No homework? 3rd note in agenda, 15 points off. STILL NO HOMEWORK? Note in agenda, zero in the gradebook. No excuses down the road.

Now, I realize that your parents aren't required to check their agenda! I would treat it as I do my second graders- I will take it, however late it may be (for partial credit in your case) until the end of the quarter. I would give them reminders, but other than that, no assignment, you get a zero.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 8, 2013

No late homework accepted---it's a zero. I let them miss one homework without penalty though.
    On the other hand, projects and things, I'll accept up to 3 days late, 5 pts off each day.

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 8, 2013

They may turn in three HW assignments per quarter one day late with no penalty. Projects will be accepted up to two days late, 15% penalty each day. Other than that, no late HW or projects accepted.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2013

When I taught HS, I had a sheet the students signed stating something like 'I did not turn in assignment p.247-250. I understand that I will lose 5% for each week it is not completed.' Then the student signed it. I clipped it to the turned in papers. I would enter a zero in my gradebook unitl completed. Once complete, the student signed the same note that state something like 'This assignment was completed on (date)'.

At the time I had over 150 students and 6 preps. It was simply impossible for me to do it any other way.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 11, 2013

I take off 10% a day. All missing work is turned in and we are allowed to keep students after school if they are missing work. This usually takes care of the problem.

9. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Apr 12, 2013

I put a zero in the book until they turn it in (20 points are deducted for it being late).

One of the secretaries told me I was too nice to her daughter because I kept accepting late work (handbook--1 day late is 20 points deducted and 2 days late is a 0). But I want them to do the work.

Progress reports go out next week and I handed all my kids their grade reports and told them that if they wanted to turn in work and have it graded before I turn in grades for progress reports, then that work needed to be turned in by this morning.

There are been a lot of work turned in the last couple of days. And a lot of work still out.

I stop taking late work 2 weeks before the end of the grading period.

10. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Apr 13, 2013

Thanks for all the responses!
    This particular quote stood out to me because I think one of my biggest problems is that the school has not set policy for late work (I'm not sure if many school's do or don't to be honest). I've talked to several teachers about late assignments to get a feel for how to handle it but they all have different policies.

I know there is a big concern about docking marks or not accepting work and lots of parent complaints, so I've been told by some teachers that you pretty much always have to accept work. Some say they deduct SOME marks, and others say they just mark it much harder when they are late.

Right now i've been taking 10% off their final mark for any late work. If it's extremely late, I just mark it as a 50% so they at least don't have a fail. I make sure to remind students that they owe me work, so if it's still very late, I think they know they are at fault and so far haven't complained about losing marks.

I just think it's ridiculous that teachers (at least my board) have to apparently accept work even if it's incredibly. What message does that send to the students?

11. Strick

Strick Rookie

Apr 17, 2013

I have them lose 5 points a day until it's worth nothing. From there, it's a zero. I've taught mostly seniors, so I have no tolerance for them wanting to be lazy.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2013

Policies like this are just so much effort on the part of the teacher. I don't have time for that.

13. Strick

Strick Rookie

Apr 17, 2013

True. I have assignents on the board and on the due date, I'll have something like:

Macbeth Essay Due Today!

The next day, it'll say somehting like:

Macbeth Essay is 1 day Late!

And, I keep up with this. It helps so it's not as much effort and there's no debating on how late something is. But yes, I agree that it takes extra effort.

14. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 18, 2013

Before our current policy was in place that we must accept late work, I had a zero late work policy (except rare circumstances) And my students tested me the first few big assignments, then they realized I mean business, and guess what--95% of the class would turn in their work on time.

Now, even my best students turn in their work whenever. Where's the motivation to turn it in if you still get credit the next class? There are few that are very conscientious, but those are not my A students. I have no A students this year--and this is the first year of the new policy and the new grading scale.

It's so much more work for me. Not keeping track, but just having to go back, look at the assignment, the point value, the key, whatever, when everyone else turned it in 2 weeks ago.

I'm also submitting grade changes for students today who turned in work from January and February that I have to grade and consider. It's not actually worth anything, but I have to give it at least a 50.

15. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 20, 2013

I teach freshmen English (and a large number of students with IEPs, where late work is generally noted in their IEPs). I accept late work, and anything after it's due date is deducted one letter grade (however that works out per assignment). I feel that all the work I grade is worth completing, so I do allow them to turn it in. However, most students who don't do work, wont' do it late, so I don't feel I'm enabling anyone, generally. There are the few who will do work later, but that's okay. I'm particular about what I grade (homework and much classwork just gets recorded for completed or not completed, not a grade), so I've been working with formative assessments. I think no matter what approach you will find issues--no tolerance or accept late work. It falls to personal philosophy I believe (and sometimes school policy--our district policy states that all major assignments, whether completed or not, cannot receive lower than a 55%, though "major assignment" is a vague term and can be circumvented depending how you grade).

16. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

Apr 20, 2013

I feel the exact same way! I hate that kids aren't accountable for turning in work because it has to be accepted. When assignments are coming in a week or two late, it's pretty ridiculous, especially because there is virtually NO tolerance for late work post-secondary. I don't know what we are teaching them by letting them submit work whenever they feel like it.

I find that it's always the same core group of responsible, hard working students who consistently have their work done, but a lot of students take days to weeks to hand in assignments after it's due. It's really not sending out a good message, and is creating bad work ethics. I really wish there could be something more concrete set in place about late assignments that every teacher follows.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2013

I don't take late work... but they have at least one week to complete assignments for me. Unless there was an emergency, there's no excuse not to get it done in a week.

I'm also trying to be better about posting assignments in the online grade book ahead of time and sending out an electronic version of any handouts. It hasn't made much difference so far, but at least it's there if they need it.

18. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Apr 26, 2013

I have to say in our school I have seen several teachers have different policies but the one for our school generally is: If the absence is excused they have three days to complete the work they missed. Code 2 (School events) the student must still make up all work or turn it in prior to event, and finally for unexcused absences they are given 0's, period. I know some teachers are more lax about this but I have seen several teachers who have sports players in their class and they think they can get by without doing work. Parents seem to re-enforce this belief. My personal policy is I don't take late work (unless there is an emergency like a death in the family). Yes I have to follow my school's policy with excused absences, but as a sports player you know when you have games, work is due BEFORE you leave. Tests will be made up the day right after the code 2, and if you are unexcused, you get a 0, no exceptions. I should not have to have several extra hours of work because you think you are entitled to turn in your assignment whenever. (The exception being emergencies, excused, and IEP's) Plus when working in high school bad habits have already established themselves and if you give an inch I assure you, they will take a mile.

19. Kaley12

Kaley12 Companion

May 6, 2013

I love the policy your school has in place! It makes students much more accountable for getting their work done, especially when it's consistent among all staff. I had a grade 9 student submit a report a week late (after getting a full week to do it), so I took off 10% and he was upset about that.

I have grade 12's who almost never hand in their work on time. Right now there was an assignment due LAST Friday and I'm still waiting on over half the class to submit it. Mind you, this is an open level course and the students taking it are very low motivated (they only attend about half the time). But it doesn't make it any less frustrating that I still have to accept all this work when it's so late.

20. Nichole906

Nichole906 Rookie

May 9, 2013

I agree - we have the same policy at our school, and while it is good in theory, it is widely abused by the students and not teaching them any kind of responsibility. What irks me the most about it, though, is when students turn in an assignment 2 weeks late and asks me the next day if I've graded it. If you take two weeks to complete an assignment, I should get two weeks to grade it :rolleyes: