Assignment help needed :help:

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by laleela, Sep 27, 2009.

1. laleela

laleela Rookie

Sep 27, 2009

I have a language assignment and just wondered what you thought of this idea. I have completed all my observations on the child - he is very well-spoken and speaks both italian and english fluently. My idea was to make word cards, say on colours, body parts, animals or numbers not sure which yet with english on one side and italian on the other side with a picture cue for word recognition. I was planning to use these cards at group time and explain to the the children that in different countries sometimes they speak another languages and that N could speak another language and that I wouldteach them the italian words for colours (or whatever) so all the children would be involved. This is a 4/5/6 year old room - I guess for some of the children this may be a bit advanced - what do you think?

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 27, 2009

What is your objective with this activity? How are you going to measure meeting the goal?

4. laleela

laleela Rookie

Sep 27, 2009

Goal is to pass my assignment!! :) Objective is to extend on childs language skills (Language = reading, writing & oral). In getting the child to help me teach his peers he is using his oral language, by using written words I am hoping he learns to recognise some of the words but it promotes his social skills and cultural diversity. Haven't really thought as far as measuring success but I guess if any of the children can recognise a word I am teaching then it's success.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

I like the idea of a bilingual activity. I teach 4-5 year-olds and the skill level in my classes spans a great range. I think I would simplify your activity.

Maybe you could sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" with your class with the motions. Then you could have explain that children in different countries sing in different languages. Call your bilingual child up front and and sing the song in Italian with the same motions.

The children are getting an auditory, visual, and kinesthetic activity which meets your objective. You can visually see the children are making the connection as they do the motions while singing the Italian words.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 28, 2009

Can the children read? Using a written work might not be the best if the children can't read. A picture is a great idea.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

I agree with you. Whatever the activity is, it is important to know the children understand the meaning of the English word.

8. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 29, 2009

A simple bilingual drama activity that I like to use is this.

First, have everyone sit in chairs in a circle..then take out four objects (I like to use fruit). Draw a picture of the different fruits on a whiteboard with the names of the fruit under it if you want as well. Then count off the children with the fruit names (Such as instead of 1, 2, 3, 1 you may say Apple, Orange, Pear, Apple) If a child speaks another language than..well in your case English..ask them if they can name the fruit (in this case) in Italian. Make sure though that if they don't want to say the word, you don't force them. I don't like using activites where you call the kid to the front of the group and ask them to say something in their own tongue or write a word in their tongue and tell them to pronounce it because perhaps the kid doesn't want to be pointed out as someone who isn't a "native" or doesn't want to. (This happens to me when people ask me in other countries to "Say something in Swedish".. being a Swede it gets a little irritating :) ).

Anyways, have one person stand in the center of the group and call out a fruit name (Such as Apple). All the people who are labeled "Apple" must switch places but they cannot do it with the person next to them..rather someone who is a few seats over or across from them. If the kid who speaks Italian tells the group that in his language, Apple is "mela" than the person in the center uses "mela" instead of the English word "Apple" and again, everyone with that as a name changes places. The person who is last to get a place becomes the next person to call out a fruit name in the center of the circle (You can also make it harder such as call out "Mela - Pear " and make two groups change places. Really fun activity and gets children interested in other languages. In the end, you can do the entire activity in Italian (Or whatever language) and extend not only the childrens' language skills but make people feel more accepted in the group.

Just an idea but it seems to meet your objective.

9. laleela

laleela Rookie

Sep 29, 2009

Thank you so much for your fantastic ideas, I shall let you know how I go. Laleela

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 1, 2009

I think it's a great idea---I'm doing sign language with my class this year--- we are starting by learning how to sing silent night for our christmas concert and sign it as well,then we will continue on with other words. Last time I did this the children learned over 100 words and were using it so much I had to make a book of signs and the words to send home to the parents!